Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So ive just got my first order from cabelas of new equipment, tent, sleeping bag, and cook stove

Tent-Eureka Amari pass 2 person 4.9lbs
    sleeping bag- Eureka silver city 30* 3.0lbs
    cook stove- MSR pocket rocket

Whats everyone think?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Probably could have gone lighter on the tent. There are quite a few good 2 man tents that are in the sub 3.5lb range. Of course the lighter you go the more you will pay. Most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_guy View Post
    So ive just got my first order from cabelas of new equipment, tent, sleeping bag, and cook stove

Whats everyone think?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Whats everyone think?
    Pretty heavy gear. You have been really working hard and probably shelling out a lot of money to get this gear together. Get a few good years out of it and then you will start upgrading to lighter gear a little at a time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts

Whats everyone think?
    There is definately lighter gear on the market, but lighter is not always better, but sometimes it is (IMHO). Furthermore, can you justify spending another $1,000-$1,500 to lighten your total pack/load by 10lb for a 1-2x per year trip? If your out-of-state, maybe its every other year. I think you did fine on your purchases and as you progress you will find what works best for you and modify as you learn. You've spent a lot of money to get started; now go try it out and learn from it. I don't think you'll be disappointed. These guys are speaking from years of experience, so they know. However, when starting out (think wayyyy back veterns), you've got to cover all the equipment needs without mortgaging the farm. This was just a few years ago for me.
    Good luck this fall to all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I could of went to a one person tent and dropped a 1lb-1.5lbs but me being a taller guy I thought the extra room was worth the extra weight plus if weather is wet it gives me room to store my gear also inside. Yes in a few years if all is goin good modifications concerning weight will be made.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 5 Posts
    I could of went to a one person tent and dropped a 1lb-1.5lbs but me being a taller guy I thought the extra room was worth the extra weight plus if weather is wet it gives me room to store my gear also inside. Yes in a few years if all is goin good modifications concerning weight will be made.
    It's also my first pack trip this year, so I've been looking at gear and reviews until I can't stand it for many weeks. Like Bonecollector said get what you can afford and learn from it, that's also my plan. It would be different if you lived out west and packed in for many nights a year, but for a couple days a year or every few years it's hard to get the best and most expensive right away, unless you have lots of money laying around. I do know I'm going to get good rain gear. Looking at core4element, to some it's fairly cheap, but to me who won't use it often I think it's plenty good. You sure do learn alot from the experienced guys on here, and its much appreciated for them to share that with us rookies!!! Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 3 Posts
    PM sent 'wisconsin'

Thanks
    Congratulations

Whats everyone think?
    I think you'll have a good time hunting! Build up your muscles and you can carry that weight no problem. Most people can get stronger, not everyone can afford $5000 of backpacking gear!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Never in Doubt View Post
    I think you'll have a good time hunting! Build up your muscles and you can carry that weight no problem. Most people can get stronger, not everyone can afford $5000 of backpacking gear!
    That's one bonus about my job. I work commercial construction so I usually have 20-25 lbs of tools and safety shit hanging on my shoulders all day. Helps get the body use to having weight on the shoulders.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    I am going to get this thread rolling as I'm sure people are about to start really hitting the trail this weekend.