Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    If I'm interpreting the rule correctly, there should be no need for a warden to weigh the bullet from a 223 WSSM cartridge. It has more than enough foot pounds of energy at 100 yards, regardless of the bullet weight.
    As stated before, I'd be extremely cautious of banking on the energy requirement stated in the regulation as this has always been geared towards pistol rounds and has been in the regulation for years. It is the same language that is in the requirements for trophy game and elk where .224 rounds aren't legal.

Personally, I have always and will continue to use my 25-06 for deer and antelope because of past performance. The only reason I'm building a load for my AR is to carry it along as a backup rifle in case something happens to my primary rifle. Can your round get the job done on an antelope? Sure it can with proper placement and bullet choice. Is it ideal for this purpose? Not really, in my opinion for whatever that is worth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree the 223 WSSM isn't the "ideal" antelope cartridge, and as I said, my 270 will be my primary rifle on this hunt. Heck I may not even bring it, as I don't know how accurate it is, being that I have not shot it yet.

It could also be said that a bow and arrow is not ideal for antelope. But, people do hunt antelope with archery gear.

My guess is at 200 yards or less, no antelope will be able to tell if I shot it with the 223 or the 270.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Many, many years ago I shot several deer in California with a .22 K Hornet and a 22-250 that I built as a wildcat before it was a factory. In Cal it is legal to shoot deer with a centerfire .22. There are a lot of factors that make me unwilling to use that small a caliber for antelope/deer. The light bullets are effected more by wind and tend to not get good penetration, especially when hitting bone. I know there are bullets that are a lot heavier now in .224 dia and are made with heavier jackets. The only reason this question keeps coming up IMHO, is the popularity of the AR platform in .224. I guess I'm old school, I'll stick with .24 and larger.
    I am also old school I guess. Regardless of the regulations interpretation, I wouldn't use a .223 anything for antelope, deer, anything. I am sure it is capable of doing the job, but there is enough doubt in how it would perform in less than ideal conditions, hitting bone, etc. that I don't think it should be used. Because it might be fun is not a good enough reason. Land owners that see wounded animals running around tend to take back their walk-in area access. I guess I don't see the point if you are taking a .270 anyway. Like the other posts said, its not that hard to be in compliance with the regulations, so what is the point in trying to push them to the boundaries.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-08-2014 at 03:04 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I forget what state it is... but requires .23 cal or larger... etc... so I remember thinking .22-250 wouldn't qualify, .243 was the standard min round I believe in certain states...

also agree it had to meet ALL the requirements, not just 1 of them...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    The .223 is used in Alaska quite often for caribou. It's seems to be the caliber of choice in lots of areas, probably due to the availability
    of ammo in bulk. Unfortunately, many many caribou are just wounded and run off. I imagine that lots are shot with bullets that aren't designed for hunting.
    With well constructed bullets and within optimum range and conditions, the .223 should be fine if the shot is placed correctly. Unfortunately, I seldom have all those factors working together when I hunt.
    I vote to leave the .223 for varmints and wolves and stick with .243 for deer/antelope/caribou.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have taken several goats with my 220 swift and in light winds is my favorite antelope caliber. I shoot 60 gr hornady and marvel at the efficiency that it kills. The 223 wssm is the only FACTORY chambering that out speeds the swift so why not use the speediest round to take the speediest animal? I don't c why a well constructed bullet wouldn't outperform the 243 or even the 6mm rem when its being pushed with more powder. I wish I had a 223 wssm myself...hell I just might get me one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    Wondering if anyone knows the legality of the 223 WSSM for antelope in Wyoming. I read the rule and know it's legal with a 60 grain or heavier bullet. But what if I want to use a 50 or 55 grain? If I'm reading the rule correctly, it would still be legal because it meets the 500 foot pounds of energy requirement. But does anybody know for sure?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I am probably beating a dead horse, but windless days in Wyoming are pretty few and far between. That might be part of the reasoning for the heavier bullet requirements. Those 60+ mph gust are no joke and not that infrequent, as the trucks lying on their sides along the road will attest. There are days when the whole east side of the state is a 300 mile long F0 tornado. Not the best shooting conditions. 10-15 mph steady wind is pretty typical, so whatever you end up using, keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I have no idea if or when they would actually pull and weigh a bullet or how they would go about checking if you were violating this reg or not if this is the reg. I imagine if you had a box in your pack that said 60gr on it and they looked like the correct bullets for the box and matched what was in your gun that would be as far as it would go. The warden I talked to last year when I was packing my antelope out did not ask what I shot it with and my gun was already in my truck when I saw him.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If a 243 is the consensus min then why is a 223 wssm taboo? Its 1000fps faster and provides more ft lbs with comparable drift. I think it deserves consideration as serious lope medicine. 25 wssm is another that we should consider...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    The 223 cant shoot 100 grain bullets like the 243. IMO a bigger slower bullet hits harder and does more damage then a smaller faster bullet even though the smaller faster bullet may look better on paper. But this is also coming from a guy that chose to go antelope hunting with a 30-30 Winchester
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."