Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, you guys are really making me want to use my 223 now, with all this talk of how it won't do the job!

I am going to try to get out on Sunday to shoot it, sight it in, and see how it does. If it groups halfway decent, I promise I will try to shoot at least one antelope with it this fall, just to prove that it can be done.

I will have my 270 along as well for the longer shots and the windy days.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I dont think anyone is saying it wont get the job done, just that many prefer 243 and up. Im sure it will kill an antelope. A 22LR will kill an antelope as far as killing antelope goes.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think you guys r forgetting that we r not talking about the standard 223. The wssm version is a fire breathing beast of a cartridge. I'm not sure if you can load heavier than 68gr bullets in it but this case has a lot more horsepower than the standard round. Were not trying to kill a grizzly here!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    I think you guys r forgetting that we r not talking about the standard 223. The wssm version is a fire breathing beast of a cartridge. I'm not sure if you can load heavier than 68gr bullets in it but this case has a lot more horsepower than the standard round. Were not trying to kill a grizzly here!
    It's interesting that you say that we're not trying to kill a grizzly...I visited at length will a guy who was up here for a grizzly hunt. He hunted almost everything with a .220 swift. He felt it was the best killing cartridge on the planet and he did use it to kill his grizzly. Congratulations to him, I'm glad for him that it worked out.
    I disagreed with his choice, but it worked for him. My point would be that there are many calibers that give better assurance for a clean humane kill. Why risk wounding a fine animal, antelope or grizzly, just to say you killed it with a little caliber.
    Just my point of view, I know not everyone shares it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AKaviator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    If it will shoot the heavier bullets accurately, then great, I'll use them. But if it does better with 50 or 55 grain, I'd rather use the lighter bullets. A few grains in weight isn't going to make any difference in lethality anyway.

If I'm interpreting the rule correctly, there should be no need for a warden to weigh the bullet from a 223 WSSM cartridge. It has more than enough foot pounds of energy at 100 yards, regardless of the bullet weight.
    Bdan

You need to re-read the legal caliber requirement from your first post carefully. I've read it and it's very clear in its definition, there is no ambiguity regarding the 223. It absolutely says nothing about a foot pounds requirement for the .223. The 35 cal./500 foot pounds are obviously for handgun shooters. Go out and shoot an antelope with a 52 grain bullet and then tell the local game warden all about it. I'm sure he can clear up any questions you might have about the definition of the law.

Nobody here is saying you can't kill an antelope with a 223. Roy Weatherby killed an elephant with a .257 WBY to prove his new caliber but advised others not to do the same. Poachers use .22 rimfires and air rifles to kill deer at night but that does not make a Gamo a deer rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    If a 243 is the consensus min then why is a 223 wssm taboo? Its 1000fps faster and provides more ft lbs with comparable drift. I think it deserves consideration as serious lope medicine. 25 wssm is another that we should consider...
    Swampokie, that .25wssm is as dead as Julius Ceasar. I don't know if anyone even offers that chambering anymore. It's supposed to be a barrel eater. That's what I've heard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    It's interesting that you say that we're not trying to kill a grizzly...I visited at length will a guy who was up here for a grizzly hunt. He hunted almost everything with a .220 swift. He felt it was the best killing cartridge on the planet and he did use it to kill his grizzly. Congratulations to him, I'm glad for him that it worked out.
    I disagreed with his choice, but it worked for him. My point would be that there are many calibers that give better assurance for a clean humane kill. Why risk wounding a fine animal, antelope or grizzly, just to say you killed it with a little caliber.
    Just my point of view, I know not everyone shares it.
    I do AK. I've seen Elk killed stone-cold dead with 1 shot from a .243....but I wouldn't try it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nobody here is saying you can't kill an antelope with a 223. Roy Weatherby killed an elephant with a .257 WBY to prove his new caliber but advised others not to do the same. Poachers use .22 rimfires and air rifles to kill deer at night but that does not make a Gamo a deer rifle.
    I understand what everyone is saying and mostly I agree with it. As I said, my 270 will be my primary rifle for this hunt. But with 4 doe tags to fill, I thought if the antelope are cooperating, the shots are relatively close, and the wind not too terrible, that it might be fun to try my new 223 WSSM on an antelope, using an appropriate bullet, of course. Lots of people hunt antelope with archery gear. Do you all argue against that as well?

Gee, all I really wanted to know is if it was legal or not.

Oh, and probably what I will do is call the WGFD and get their interpretation on it. If it truly is a 60 grain minimum for 223 caliber, then I will use the 64 grain Winchester Power Point bullets I have. Otherwise, I would like to use a 50 or 55 grain Barnes.
    Last edited by bdan68; 05-09-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    doe antelope r not very large...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Head shots on the does....no meat loss!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley