Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    35 Remington?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes in marlin 336c

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I have a 32 Remington in a model 14A Remington pump. Have only shot it a couple times due to the price of ammo for it but I started reloading now so once I get some dies I will shoot it more!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    It all depends on where the arrow goes
    Yeah I know what you're saying. But if you shoot an animal in a real "meaty" part of the shoulder with an arrow you will probably get a double lung penetration and maybe a complete pass through. With a 50 grain .22 cal. bullet you may or may not get past the meat. You sure won't get a complete pass through. When we hunted coyotes thirty years ago we shot 52 grain hollow points for just this reason. We didn't want a pass through on coyotes because of the fur damage caused by an exit wound.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    Yeah I know what you're saying. But if you shoot an animal in a real "meaty" part of the shoulder with an arrow you will probably get a double lung penetration and maybe a complete pass through. With a 50 grain .22 cal. bullet you may or may not get past the meat. You sure won't get a complete pass through. When we hunted coyotes thirty years ago we shot 52 grain hollow points for just this reason. We didn't want a pass through on coyotes because of the fur damage caused by an exit wound.

But that's like saying if you use an arrow with only a field point it might not penetrate enough. Same thing. Use the wrong bullet in a 223 and it may not work very well. Use the wrong bullet in a 270- it may not work very well.

What do you think of a 53 grain Barnes triple shock in the 223? Or a 60 grain Nosler Partition?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't personally shot the 60 gr nosler but I hear its the most effective bullet on large coyotes and antelope

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    I'm also looking at the Nosler 64 grain bonded bullet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 91 Times in 9 Posts
    The 60 gr Partition as stated above would be naughty medicine for a loper out of a 223WSSM, we've used it in 220 Swifts and 22-250 Ackleys and they are more than capable of killing a loper, even at 400-500 yards!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    But that's like saying if you use an arrow with only a field point it might not penetrate enough. Same thing. Use the wrong bullet in a 223 and it may not work very well. Use the wrong bullet in a 270- it may not work very well.

What do you think of a 53 grain Barnes triple shock in the 223? Or a 60 grain Nosler Partition?
    I think your comparison of a field point and the .223 is a very good analogy. I'd use neither one for hunting antelope.

I am a big fan of Nosler partitions and have been impressed with their performance over the years. I must admit, I have not used them in their pea sized form. In larger calibers I've tried the triple shocks and personally I don't like them. I've shot a few animals with accubonds and may eventually switch to them but they need to prove themselves to me first before I stop using the partitions. I guess if I were a long range shooter the accubonds might have more appeal to me because of their accuracy.