Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    How would a warden know what gain of bullet you are using? I sure cant visibly see the difference between 55 and 60 grains.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For what its worth.. I watched someone roll an antelope buck on a dead run with a standard 223. I was kind of tough on the guy until then and "I told you so" didnt even have to be discussed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    How would a warden know what gain of bullet you are using? I sure cant visibly see the difference between 55 and 60 grains.
    They pull a bullet and weigh it on the spot anytime they come across anyone using a .224 cal of any variety.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    There's several bullet choices out there 60 gr or over that would work for hunting, so it's not that hard to just make sure you're in compliance no matter the game wardens stance on the issue. I'm currently working up a 223 load with 62 gr. TTSX just for this purpose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would hand load a heaver sold copper like barnes with a higher bc to cut down on wind drift I only load test 55 gr because it matches my turret on my scope but it shoots great shot a doe at 247yds went 50yds an down with standard 223 compelet pass though

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Dang I was in hopes my red ryder would be legal!! I guess I'll have to use my 378 WBY now
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Leave the 223 varmint gun at home. I've witnessed how a 22-250 performs on antelope and it's pathetic. It's sad and definitely not fun to watch an animal die very slowly even with 2 bullets to the chest, one taken from 75 yards and the other from a distance of 6 inches. There's no such thing as overkill but there is definitely "underkill".

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They pull a bullet and weigh it on the spot anytime they come across anyone using a .224 cal of any variety.
    Reason enough to stick with the .24 and up calibers! I would be upset at the wasted cartridge....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I sure wouldn't be happy if a warden destroyed one of my cartridges! This is a new gun, it's a Browning A bolt and I just got a scope mounted on it. Will be sighting it in soon and testing some different cartridges. What I've read on it is that this gun may not stabilize the heavier bullets very well, so therefor they won't be accurate.

If it will shoot the heavier bullets accurately, then great, I'll use them. But if it does better with 50 or 55 grain, I'd rather use the lighter bullets. A few grains in weight isn't going to make any difference in lethality anyway.

If I'm interpreting the rule correctly, there should be no need for a warden to weigh the bullet from a 223 WSSM cartridge. It has more than enough foot pounds of energy at 100 yards, regardless of the bullet weight.
    Last edited by bdan68; 05-08-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Many, many years ago I shot several deer in California with a .22 K Hornet and a 22-250 that I built as a wildcat before it was a factory. In Cal it is legal to shoot deer with a centerfire .22. There are a lot of factors that make me unwilling to use that small a caliber for antelope/deer. The light bullets are effected more by wind and tend to not get good penetration, especially when hitting bone. I know there are bullets that are a lot heavier now in .224 dia and are made with heavier jackets. The only reason this question keeps coming up IMHO, is the popularity of the AR platform in .224. I guess I'm old school, I'll stick with .24 and larger.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post: