Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    It's interesting that you say that we're not trying to kill a grizzly...I visited at length will a guy who was up here for a grizzly hunt. He hunted almost everything with a .220 swift. He felt it was the best killing cartridge on the planet and he did use it to kill his grizzly. Congratulations to him, I'm glad for him that it worked out.
    I disagreed with his choice, but it worked for him. My point would be that there are many calibers that give better assurance for a clean humane kill. Why risk wounding a fine animal, antelope or grizzly, just to say you killed it with a little caliber.
    Just my point of view, I know not everyone shares it.
    I know the old saying "dont knock success" but leave me out of a 220 swift and a grizzly bear!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love my swift but im with ya on this one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I know the old saying "dont knock success" but leave me out of a 220 swift and a grizzly bear!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Me too! That is like taking a swat at Chuck Norris. He did kill two stones with one bird you know. I don't know how guys go after those Kodiaks and big ole Alaskan brown bears with a bow and arrow, that is beyond my level of bravery also. 150-200 yards away, ok maybe, 10-15 yards, no thanks.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Chuck Norris would not need a bow to kill a grizzly bear with an arrow
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yup, I have had a 220 swift for almost 40 years. I love the caliber but no way would I use one on a grizz. I would feel more confident with a bow on a grizz.
    Antelope any day. I have always considered the antelope a pretty easy animal to kill. When I first started bowhunting antelope 35 years ago I was told that if I got an arrow in one he was done. Found out that wasn't true. Shot a great buck broadside at front point of shoulder with a clean pass through. He walked out in an alfalfa field and stood with his head down. Blood running down both front shoulders. Waited for him to tip over as it got dark. He never did. Tried all next day to get close but he just got stronger as the day went on. Last I saw him he jumped a fence and was herding his does like nothing had happened.
    NRA Life Member
    Colorado Bowhunters Life Member
    Nebraska Bowhunters Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    I understand what everyone is saying and mostly I agree with it. As I said, my 270 will be my primary rifle for this hunt. But with 4 doe tags to fill, I thought if the antelope are cooperating, the shots are relatively close, and the wind not too terrible, that it might be fun to try my new 223 WSSM on an antelope, using an appropriate bullet, of course. Lots of people hunt antelope with archery gear. Do you all argue against that as well?

Gee, all I really wanted to know is if it was legal or not.

Oh, and probably what I will do is call the WGFD and get their interpretation on it. If it truly is a 60 grain minimum for 223 caliber, then I will use the 64 grain Winchester Power Point bullets I have. Otherwise, I would like to use a 50 or 55 grain Barnes.
    Take what you want its your hunt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    Lots of people hunt antelope with archery gear. Do you all argue against that as well?
    I could see how you would infer that I would think archery gear is kinda lame hunting equipment. But just the opposite, I actually think archery gear is more deadly than a light caliber rifle.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    I could see how you would infer that I would think archery gear is kinda lame hunting equipment. But just the opposite, I actually think archery gear is more deadly than a light caliber rifle.
    It all depends on where the arrow goes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I absolutely hate reading threads like this where people are talking about using "pop guns" (sarcasm intended) for animals that they were not intended for and then there is always at least one lame comment about "well if an arrow can kill, etc."!!! Please use enough gun for a clean, quick, humane kill and treat every animal with the respect it deserves!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 05-15-2014 at 06:32 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Your acting like a doe antelope is an elephant tg! A 223 wssm is far from a pop gun! Faster and more energy than antelope favorite 243!
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    I absolutely hate reading threads like this where people are talking about using "pop guns" (sarcasm intended) for animals that they were not intended for and then there is always at least one lame comment about "well if an arrow can kill, etc."!!! Please use enough gun for a clean, quick, humane kill and treat every animal with the respect it deserves!