Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bear spray

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bear spray

Maybe this isn't the right spot, but anybody personally or had a buddy or acquaintance stop a black bear or grizz with bear spray? I could see deterring a black bear, but seems like it could be tough to turn away an angry grizz

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    "Bear Spray" meaning spraying shots in the bears direction right? I have seen that work! Haven't seen the canned stuff used before, I prefer a side arm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There was actually a pretty good thread on here a few weeks back. I learned a lot.

Basically the experts say that you are less likely to get hurt using bear spray than a weapon.

I do know that bear spray is not designed to incapacitate just irritate.
    Human spray incapacitates.
    In that regard, I think it would have a similar effect on a grizz as a black bear, although if either one is absolutely going to attack you the spray is not going to stop them. It probably would lessen the attack.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGNV View Post
    "Bear Spray" meaning spraying shots in the bears direction right? I have seen that work! Haven't seen the canned stuff used before, I prefer a side arm.
    Hahai love it! Tough archery hunting in NV though not being able to pack a pistol. Bears aren't the worry though, it's them big kitties.

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a good friend have to empty a full can of bear spray on a griz while guiding...she ran through 3 different spray sequences on different charges...he eventually had to put her down with his .45-70 at ten feet...it took four shots. .game and fish determined it was self defense when they investigated..as it was. . I personally carry my .44mag with snake shot in the first two chambers and 340 grain in the next 4. . I'm around grizzlies alot during summer and fall...if they want to come for you, they will. Just my thoughts from lots of close experiences

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a close call with one last year. Very close!!never heard him untill I turned around and then he was 10ft from me licking his chops dreaming about Mark chops for breakfast!! I have wondered how bear spray would work on a cat? Anyone have any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by NVBird'n'Big View Post
    Hahai love it! Tough archery hunting in NV though not being able to pack a pistol. Bears aren't the worry though, it's them big kitties.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Never had to use it and hope I never do... knowing my abilities with a pistol though the spray is a better option. 12 gauge, 45-70, or some other long gun would be my weapon of choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I had a close call with one last year. Very close!!never heard him untill I turned around and then he was 10ft from me licking his chops dreaming about Mark chops for breakfast!! I have wondered how bear spray would work on a cat? Anyone have any thoughts?
    I had the same type deal last year. When I was following my trail back to the truck, there were cat tracks like right on top of mine. I never saw him, but he followed my trail for quite a ways. That happened two times in the same area. I would also like to hear thoughts about using the stuff on kitties.

I am in the same boat as Grizz with a pistol. I would probably just as far ahead to carry a spear as a pistol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In twenty Elk seasons that was the first encounter with a animal that really got under my skin. I have never carried anything but a bow all those years but last years Cat encounter has me thinking a little differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I had the same type deal last year. When I was following my trail back to the truck, there were cat tracks like right on top of mine. I never saw him, but he followed my trail for quite a ways. That happened two times in the same area. I would also like to hear thoughts about using the stuff on kitties.

I am in the same boat as Grizz with a pistol. I would probably just as far ahead to carry a spear as a pistol.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    In 99% of all the lion attacks I've read, the cat attacks before the victim ever knows it's there. Most of the encounters were the cat was seen before attacking eventually turned tail. I said "most". Not sure we're I read it but a revolver is the #1 pistol for bear/cat attacks. When attacked you can point blank fire without jamming, if that thing is trying to kill me, I'm gonna try and do the same.