Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts

No hunting on Sunday????

I have seen a few articles recently about some eastern states not allowing hunting on Sunday. They seem to be old laws that some are trying to change. Im sure there were reasons behind these laws when they were made but why would hunting not be allowed on Sundays? Alot of residents hunt mostly on weekends and not being able to hunt on Sunday could take away 1/2 of their hunting opportunity. It just doesnt make any sense to me and I had never herd of anything like this before. Does anyone know more about this?
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 6 Posts
    It's for religious purposes isn't it?
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=576240&mode=2

It looks like Pennsylvannia recently began allowing hunting on Sundays except for woodchucks. I might not be reading that right.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...#hunting-hours

Virginia is pretty clearly against hunting on Sundays. As for why, I don't really have a good idea. I saw something on the Pennsylvannia web-site about farmers needing a day of rest. I guess with most of the land and hunting opportunities on private land, the farmers needed a break. I am purely guessing. Religious day of rest could be a big part of it, too. My uncle is in western Maryland and he hunts PA also. I might have to ask him about it.

Here is an older article about it. http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...ay-hunting-ban
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-10-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That would just make it so the farmer had to work on Sunday so he could hunt on Monday. lol. I was wondering if it was religious too or if religious people didnt want church service interrupted by gun fire! The article in Petersens Hunting says they can hunt on private land in Virginia on sunday now.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    PA must want to protect Punxsutawney Phil on Sunday still, oh wait that's a groundhog not a wood chuck. I need to go to bed before I get really weird. I am easily distracted tonight and no I did not know how to spell Phil's town.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Squirl! HAHA!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just some old laws still on the books because "that's the way we always did it". I bet their elected officials still wear powdered wigs as well. Pretty damned stupid in this day and age. Some folks are just against change of any kind.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts
    if were me i would be breaking the law a lot.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would not live in a state that didn't allow hunting on Sunday. That's just ridiculous and there's absolutely no good reason for it!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    the funny part is.... it is a religious thing that makes the laws that way in those states. but instead of going hunting on sundays alot of those guys are either "poaching" or doing some other thing im sure wouldnt be appropriate sunday behavior. id like to hearsomeone chime in from one of these states to give us an iside view.