Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts

Vortex PST or HST?? Need some input!

I've just finished building a rifle for my wife for her birthday.
    Rem 700 SA blueprinted, Timney Trigger, Lilja #5 contour 1-11 twist 3 groove, HS BDL W/cheekplate Red Spider on Black.
    I'm hoping bitterrootbulls has some input on this and some of you other guys I see talking about Vortex, the only reason why I'm hesitant is I had two of the original Vipers and had nothing but problems with them, I got them that exact year they came out and I wasn't overly impressed and said I'd never buy another one of their scopes as long as I lived.

I've always installed Leupold Mark 4's on my custom builds, I'm not sure she'll use it as much as I would like and I'm starting to look at alternatives now. My question to those of you that have the Vortex models listed above, is how would they compare in optic quality, ruggedness, dependability, tracking etc to that of a Leupold MK4, I'm looking at the MOA models not the MRAD so any input would be helpful. I don't need a front focal plane scope, and I'm looking at the HST in a 4x14-44mm or the PST 4x16-50mm. I'm leaning more towards the HST due to weight that I can save and the fact I'd have to spend another $40 to get the right ring height for the 50mm. Or should I just dump the extra $200 and get the 4.5x14-50 MK4 with M1 turrets.
    Thanks guys
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    woodtick,

I have had the 4-16X50 PST for a few years and it is one of my favorite scopes. Glass is good, tracking is awesome, and the reticle is outstanding.

An accomplished LR shooter and Nightforce aficionado on another site recently evaluated the HST quite favorably. The only reason to go with the PST is if you need illumination or prefer the PST reticles (I do).

Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    the only reason why I'm hesitant is I had two of the original Vipers and had nothing but problems with them
    That is interesting, I have used a number of original Vipers (maybe 10 or more), and never had an issue with them at all. I still have the little 2-7X32 on my 7-08, and it is tickin' right along. Love that little scope.

What were the models and issues you had? How did Vortex do taking care of it?

I used to run Mark 4's myself, but no longer do. I really prefer the constant eye relief of the Vortex scopes. Also the Vortex scopes have their adjustments and reticles subtended in matching units (MOA or MILs).

The short answer is, I would probably look at the HST first, given your stated needs and preferences.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It was the 6.5x20-50 with the DH BDC. The point of impact was shifting with a change in power and I'm not pulling your leg either. Both scopes did it they sent me a refund check for both of them. I remember I had to preorder them, so I'm assuming they was some of the very first batch ever produced. My good friend had the exact same thing happen. I'm leaning heavily towards the HST, no need for illumination!
    Thanks BB
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Got HST this morning, time to mount it up and run it through some tracking tests and compare it to my MK4's and VX's for contrast and resolution. This thing already has impressed me!!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

Confucius

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 72 Times in 9 Posts
    Look forward to the results
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well the HST is going back to VORTEX!!!! Pulled the scope out of the box this afternoon and set it in the rings, had my action leveled and locked into a vise. I sat the top half of the rings on and set the eye relief. Then I set my level on top of the turret and made sure it was perfect, torqued the rings down to spec and pulled the gun out of the vise and went to look through the scope and low and behold the crosshair is severely canted not just a touch but butt load out of whack. It looks like one of the idiots from our local sporting good stores put it on after he downed a 30 pack of stones!! I shoulda learned my lesson from straying away from what has been tried and true. Looks like I get to test out their customer service department again.
    Last edited by woodtick; 05-25-2014 at 08:08 PM.
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 2 Posts
    Ughhh.....that stinks man. I love my Vortex binos. And my brother is just about ready to buy this scope. He probably still will, but hate to hear this for sure.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    30 pack of stones.... been a while since I've heard that one haha.

"I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Ughhh.....that stinks man. I love my Vortex binos. And my brother is just about ready to buy this scope. He probably still will, but hate to hear this for sure.

I think they make good stuff I've just got this bad karma when it comes to using their stuff!! I'm besides myself right now!! I love the layout of this scope, awesome turrets and amazing clarity and resolution. I'm glad they've got the warranty that they do.
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hate that for ya.....I'm also 100% sure they will take care of ya too. From all I've read they are the best in CS. Good luck!

- Charlie Daniels

- AT Hiker