Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just don't see a reason why sooooo many larger point holders would cash in. The only real hype was about Point Banking. And I would think that would make people hold on to their points for a yr. So why all of a sudden there was such a large jump! I'm not buying it yet. Time will tell. But IMO I wouldn't be planning anything else just yet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree Bbowers.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I think alot of why they are cashing in is because points are creeping up every year and they are worried the next 5 year season structure could make tags ever harder to draw and have decided its time to find a unit they have the points to draw and go hunting. Also some have been sitting out waiting for areas like Gunnison to recover and now that its doing fairly well they want to draw before there is another bad winter.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Entirely possible Musket. Just seems like that would make sense for the lesser point guys. But not the 9+ guys, for deer anyway. If I had 12+ deer points! I'd hang on for point banking. I know some good 2nd season hunts that I could do at least 2 yrs if not 3 in a row with banking. Elk..I say cashem in asap, because you will never get there.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    12pt+ guys likely will hold on for 1 tag with the best chance at that coveted 200"er.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbowers View Post
    Entirely possible Musket. Just seems like that would make sense for the lesser point guys. But not the 9+ guys, for deer anyway. If I had 12+ deer points! I'd hang on for point banking. I know some good 2nd season hunts that I could do at least 2 yrs if not 3 in a row with banking. Elk..I say cashem in asap, because you will never get there.
    The trouble with point banking and that theory is a bunch of guys jump on a 3-4 point unit and all of a sudden it takes 8 points to draw. I would be alot more concerned if I had 12+ points then I am with the 4 I have now. The units that take alot of points creep even if nothing changes simply because there are more applicants in the top point class then there are tags, add in a tag cut and a few guys entering the draw that have been just getting points and it can go up a few points in a hurry.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    The scenario I am most concerned about would be to broaden the hybrid draw. For example, if 50% of the tags were issued to the max point holders and 50% in a random draw, suddenly it takes twice as long to draw out the top end and panic ensues of guys just trying to draw what they can draw. Of course an expanded hybrid draw would be seen as more "fair" by the vast majority of the applicants since they now have a shot at the top end tags, though still an awfully low shot. In my opinion, CO has been one of the most vocal states about wanting to change the point system.

I decided to go for my elk tag this year because there are over 400 applicants in the pool I am in and above and there is only a handful of tags I am even interested in…..for example ONE non resident tag each for archery or muzzy elk in units 2 and 201. It takes nothing to turn the draw odds on those hunts upside down. There are only a handful of tags I was interested in and I felt I could draw one of them this year in a year I know how the draw system works.

A modification like I described and suddenly I could be out of the running for tags I could currently draw. I did not want to suddenly be looking at a unit 76 elk tag as the only tag "top end" tag I could draw.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 05-13-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    They have to figure out something to take pressure off the top end units and the only way that happens is to manage for quality instead of opportunity in every unit, which should be happening anyway since quality and proper mgmt tend to be closely linked.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Draw can't be correct take a look at 2014 draw stats. They just posted them

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not finding them.. Where are they?