Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    If you're going to insure them, contact your insurance company, and ask who they recommend to appraise them. That's what I did.
    I needed to insure my guns separately, not covered under my Homeowner's policy. Good luck.
    That's an excellent idea. I've got a vast network of jewelry/fine art/other collectible appraisers through work. I'll take a peek and see if we don't have a recommendation out your way.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You have to be a little careful with insurance companies. In the past I have had them tell me what they would insure stuff for (especially high value items like fine art, jewelry & guns) what was way undervalued. Lots of them will let you insure what YOU want to cover the item for, you just have to be willing to pay the premium. My old cars are really a good example. The market really fluctuates and values do too, so I put a dollar amount on the value that I thought and then had to pay the premium. I have had them want to inspect the item also. The Blue Book of Gun Values is a really good place to start. The kicker is condition. All experts do not agree as to what the real condition is. The book will give you a range from 100%(like new) down to 60% condition. Gun Broker is another good place as mentioned. But care must be taken there too. You really need to watch what something actually sells for vs asking price. There are also some really good collectors groups (Like Winchester) that really know their stuff, but lots of things they value are NIB, unfired, factory engraved/inlayed or scarce models. The bad thing about the Blue Book is it is only published annually and prices can change lots before a new edition comes out.

I guess the bottom line is be educated, buyer beware and do your research especially for rare or highly desirable pieces.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I have noticed Blue Book is usually lower then what they are selling for on Gunbroker, but mine is a few years old too. Also agree to look at what they are actually selling for not buy it now or starting prices. I have seen a pistol on GB for months starting at $750 and you could buy a comparable one for $150-200 and I bought 1 for under $100 that only needed a minor repair.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"