Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Northeast Wyoming Antelope Look Healthy

Made a trip to Sheridan from Gillette today. On the way home we took the back roads through Spotted Horse and Recluse. It is as green as I've ever seen it. Saw lots of antelope and they really look healthy. Saw some bucks that have some really good horn growth already. So far it's looking like it could be a pretty good year.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to robsev For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Thanks for the report!!!
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Robsev, I was in and around Sheridan and Buffalo last Saturday, I agree with you. The bucks we saw had some pretty impressive headgear for this early in the year. We saw lots of antelope around Lake Desmet, and the country was very green due to all the rain and snow this spring (we're supposed to get snow tonight) We also spotted a pair of Loons on Desmet, the first I've seen in Wyoming in 25 years.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shootbrownelk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Robsev, I was in and around Sheridan and Buffalo last Saturday, I agree with you. The bucks we saw had some pretty impressive headgear for this early in the year. We saw lots of antelope around Lake Desmet, and the country was very green due to all the rain and snow this spring (we're supposed to get snow tonight) We also spotted a pair of Loons on Desmet, the first I've seen in Wyoming in 25 years.
    You must not get over to Gillette much, there are a lot of loons mixed in with us triple c-s ers. oh the birds, gotcha. I wouldn't mind it being wet until June again this year, except it cuts into my overtime. That is good news about the antelope looking good this year. There are quite a few bunched up going down to Wright and on 450. The bucks have been feisty already, chasing smaller bucks around and watching over the does already. I haven't been to Buffalo in a little while. When is the antelope rut? I can never remember,
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-10-2014 at 10:04 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    ....there are a lot of loons mixed in with us triple c-s ers.

Thanks for the chuckle.....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I might have to pick up a leftover tag this year after all
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I missed an exit around Belle Fourche 1 time and went on 450 instead of backtracking and I saw lots of antelope along it. Mostly on the north side. Isnt that alot of private land around there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I actually haven't gone the whole route of 450 to Newcastle ever, but yes there is a lot of private in that area. The first 20 miles or so from Wright is right along side the mines, but there are some trust lands and walk-in areas, and grass land access along the route. The other Gillette guys probably know better than I do. There are some big ranches that lease grassland for grazing, but there is quite a bit of area that is open National Grassland to go tooling around in. The Rochelle Hills are pretty popular for elk and deer. I have never even put in for there. They do get some big antelope, but the Recluse, Spotted Horse area does, too. I still can't judge for a trophy after all these years. I either look for weird horns or pretty curls, so I am not the best person to ask about trophy goats, sorry. I think that is where I am going to try and take the kiddo for an antelope this year, though. Maybe go the other direction to Pumpkin Buttes, I just don't know. Its a terrible problem to have too many places to hunt. I think both of those areas are good places for a chip for the GPS to tell you where is private.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-10-2014 at 11:37 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its been a few years and I dont remember exactly what parts but I remember alot of antelope on 450. Saw alot of deer at night along the road around Wright going from Casper to Gillette 1 time when I tried to haul horses from CA to ND without sleeping. Got to Sundance

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Againstthewind, the rut doesn't start till September. Does should be having their babies any time now. I don't know what the deal is with the aggressive bucks. I watched one behind our house last week chase after one particular doe. they stopped once and both their tongues were hanging out. Caught his wind and took off after her again. Last I saw of them he was still chasing her over the hill a half mile away.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to robsev For This Useful Post: