Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Archery Antelope 33/32

Was fortunate enough to draw archery Antelope for units 33/32. I hunted Muleys in 33 last year and saw a ton of goats. Does anyone have any experience in hunting spot and stalk in this area. I've contemplated using a Montana Decoy like I did on my Muley and also thought about just sitting water the 9 days the tag is open for. Any of you experts have a preference? This is my first Antelope hunt of any sort.

Thanks,

Anthony

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I have never hunted there but I have taken numerous antelope with a bow and rifle. There are pros and cons to each method.

Your highest percentage hunt is typically sitting at the water hole. Heavy rains can make this useless for a day or two but in the fall those type of rains are rare. If you use a proper blind, shooting is honestly pretty easy. This hunt while the most successful can be a tad boring at times. I usually bring books along as well as a cooler with snacks and drinks. IMO this is your best opportunity at a trophy buck.

Spot and stalk is much harder to accomplish but honestly is more fun for me. They can be very difficult to get in range and especially difficult to take a trophy using this method. I strongly recommend a decoy if you are trying this method. Practice shooting as long of range as you and your equipment can handle. My last shot on a spot and stalk antelope was over 50 yards. My success on this type of hunt was usually on smaller bucks without a herd. Not your best chance at a trophy but a blast...

If I were in your shoes I would try both methods. Mix it up and experience the hunt. Congrats on the great tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hilltop,

Thanks for the info! I took a spot and stalk Muley in the same area. I have some water to sit and saw several herds in that area last year. I already purchased a buck and doe decoy and I'm thinking about getting a cow decoy. I did like the spot and stalk and I think we are going to have a real shortage of water here this year. I may pick your brain some more in the up coming months if that is OK.

Anthony

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Would be glad to help in any way...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hilltop,

If I use a decoy for some spot and stalk. Which one would u recommend using? I have the Buck and Doe combo from Montana Decoys. And thought about getting that cow they have since there are quite a few cows in the area.

Anthony

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I once used an ice chest lid and it surprisingly drew their curiosity!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    swampokie,

I wonder if that is because of the white. Supposedly, here we can't wear white or wave white flags or anything like that. Due to that very reason!

Anthony

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes it was white and that is the key.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by acook View Post
    Was fortunate enough to draw archery Antelope for units 33/32. I hunted Muleys in 33 last year and saw a ton of goats. Does anyone have any experience in hunting spot and stalk in this area. I've contemplated using a Montana Decoy like I did on my Muley and also thought about just sitting water the 9 days the tag is open for. Any of you experts have a preference? This is my first Antelope hunt of any sort.

Thanks,

Anthony
    IMHO it depends on your hunt dates as to weather the decoy will be affective. I have used the Mel Dutton buck decoy with poor results before the rut in California and Nevada. I would say if your hunt is during pre rut or during the rut when the bucks are super possessive of their does it would be well worth running a decoy.
    Last edited by packer58; 05-18-2014 at 07:09 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to packer58 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Swampokie,

Wish I could use a little white and draw a nice buck in!

Anthony