Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colorado Draw Point Creep

Came across this on another forum and thought you guys would like to see it here. This is very good information and really makes me think about staying in the draw with a bunch of points any longer. This creep is getting out of control and starts to become a race one cannot win. I am upset about this problem for the youth hunters of the state, because of the time they could start applying they will be so far behind this creep they will probably never see a unit in one of these trophy units. Oh well, take a look and decide for yourself.

Select high point elk hunts:
    unit 2 early rifle from 17resident points/19 nonresident points in 2010 to 18/20 in 2011
    unit 2 archery from 15/18 to 16/19
    unit 10 early rifle from 16/19 to 17/20
    unit 10 archery from 13/16 to 14/18
    unit 10 RFW from 20 to 24
    unit 4 muzzleloader from 1/6 to 2/6
    unit 12 muzzleloader for 2/9 to 2/10
    unit 33 muzzleloader from 2/8 to 2/9
    unit 40 archery from ¾ to 4/5
    unit 40 muzzleloader from 5/10 to 5/12
    unit 61 muzzleloader from 12/17 to 13/18
    unit 66 muzzleloader from 4/10 to 3/11 –ought to tell you nonresidents something
    unit 67 muzzleloader from 3/7 to 3/8
    unit 76 early rifle from 11/15 to 11/17
    unit 76 muzzleloader from 7/13 to 7/14
    unit 76 archery from 4/8 to 5/9
    unit 201 early rifle 18/20 to 19/21
    unit 201 archery 16/19 to 16/20
    unit 201 muzzleloader from 17/20 to 18/21
    Top resident elk point holders:
    2 with 25, 4 with 24, 2 with 23, 6 with 22, 20 with 21, 54 with 20, 105 with 19, 159 with 18, etc, etc
    Top nonresident elk point holders:
    1 with 24, 2 with 23, 8 with 22, 33 with 21, 154 with 20, 334 with 19, 438 with 18, etc, etc
    You can see that the point creep will soon exacerbate in the next four years as those very few top point holders are joined by hundreds of top point holders, especially the nonresidents.

Deer this point creep is made worse by declining populations in addition to increased demand
    Unit 1 2nd rifle from 3/7 to 4/9
    Unit 2 3rd rifle from 10/15 to 13/15
    Unit 10 rifle 6/14 to 9/13
    Unit 21 no change
    Unit 22 4th rifle 5/13 to 7/16
    Unit 201
    Unit 44 3rd rifle from 6/9 to 9/12
    Unit 44 4th rifle from 10/14 to 10/16
    Unit 53 4th rifle from 4/12 to 8/15
    Unit 61 4th rifle from 11/17 to 12/18
    Unit 66 3rd rifle from 7/9 to 8/9
    Unit 70 4th rifle from 3/8 to 4/11
    Top Resident deer point holders (who knows what these guys are holding out for, as there aren’t really any options with this many points)
    2 with 22 points, 3 with 21 points, 4 with 20 points, 19 with 19 points, 23 with 18 points, 67 with 17 points, 139 with 16 points
    Top Nonresident deer point holders:
    1 with 23 points, 0 with 22 points, 1 with 21 points, 4 with 20 points, 16 with 19 points, 36 with 18 points, 90 with 17 points.
    So, I’d say we probably have closer to 6 or 7 years before the point creep really starts to balloon here, unless of course the deer populations start recovering quickly.
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Hunt hard and live with no regrets!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE]unit 66 muzzleloader from 4/10 to 3/11 –ought to tell you nonresidents something/QUOTE]

What exactly? Not a good choice?... Residents don't consider it as great of a unit/season as they used to?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had this exact conversation with a few guys from work. Every year they accuire a point for unit 2 or 10 the number of points needed goes up one or two. I will not ever try to catch up to this BS. I find a unit that takes between 4 and 6 points and try to draw those. These units still have low hunting pressure and if you are willing to do a back country hunt you can kill a nice bull or buck. I will get to draw a good tag 4 or 5 times before a lot of people draw one. The only units I would save 13 or more points for are not in Colorado.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=STICK1;7129]
    unit 66 muzzleloader from 4/10 to 3/11 –ought to tell you nonresidents something/QUOTE]

What exactly? Not a good choice?... Residents don't consider it as great of a unit/season as they used to?
    Ya the residents continue to bail out of this draw. Take it for what its worth. I am not saying that the residents know all but it might be a good tid bit of info to think about.

IGWT- You have a good philosophy. I am going to seriously consider bailing from the draw next year and drawing a hunt that will make good use of my 8 points. I have other units that if I consistently hunt them, will probably have more opportunities at trophy bulls than these guys will in the blue chip units, just because you get to know the herd.
    Support Hunt of a Lifetime, granting hunting and fishing dreams to kids with terminal or life-threatening illnesses. [www.huntofalifetime.org]

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The problem is I am one of the people in the 20 point category for elk. Very hard to get in fromt of the crowd, but equally hard to waste 20 years worth of applications. I've been hunting a lot in other states in the meantime, but before too many more years I will burn my elk points. I will boviously never have this many again.
    llp

Thanks
    Congratulations
    llp- Keep after that tag you are on the cusp! If you notice the top point holders for NR in the state you are real close to the top. What unit are you after?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    After burning 10 points in 2006 I recognized I needed to target a 2 point unit from then on. The one I chose crept a full point the last 3 years and it's not on the lists posted above. That should tell something too. Every hunter I speak to is doing that same thing, so you can't even count on this route. I'm up to 5 now and want to burn them. The new rules penalize NR the longer you wait.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Idk there's still lots of oppurtunity lots, the problem comes from everyone thinking and believing there entitled to hunt premium units. I don't have much for points I'm young and got in only 2 years ago. Those ahead of me earned there points for all of those guys ahead of me that lose there points in the draws there's a bunch more that for whatever reasons never apply or quit the game for whatever reason and there's still ways to combat point creep with landowner tags, for those that don't want to wait. The point class warfare games that always goes on between the haves and have not is just ridiculous, put in the work and find a premium animal in a mediocre unit, or wait and put your time in for whatever you choose to make of your premium units when its your time. Seems simple to me since were talking about point creep affecting top trophy units, not affecting anyone's opportunity and chance to hunt.
    Last edited by brudno; 06-04-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    Nick

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Brundo- I do not disagree with you too much. Colorado is a great state because you can hunt every year for elk if you want to. You can do the same for deer, even though that is becoming really difficult. However, there are some issues with the draw system. I am a believer that when the unit gets to a certain amount of minimum points to draw, a waited preference system (similar to sheep, goat, moose) must be put in place. This allows those with more points better odds at drawing, while allowing everyone else a chance at a tag as well. For the youth that start this year, they will not even begin to dream of touching one of these tags until 30+ years down the road at the rate of this creep. It is a tough argument, just really frustrating to me who does not have the chance of ever catching up to one of these tags that is why I am going to burn them and change my strategy. But you are right, its all up to choice when it comes to waiting 30+ years or finding a trophy animal in another unit.

Thanks
    Congratulations

2-4 point units are my keys now

I'm focusing on getting a high quality hunt with better than average trophy quality every 2-5 years. A few units I've been focusing on I haven't drawn b/c I try to get good value for my points. I applied for MZ in 33 this year and didn't draw with two points. So next year I'll try a unit I should draw with 3, that is closer to home as well.

A few units I've looked according to this strategy are 57, 49, 48, all of which are on Eastman's chart of potential trophy areas. What areas does everyone else focus on?