Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My crew and I put in for 83. We put in for does as well. So hopefully we draw something. We have enough points for last year but everybody and there grandma seen that this unit was easier to draw last year. It should be fun if we draw. It is our first trip to Wyoming. I'm working on a new Tikka T3 25-06 that should be fun. We are heading over the last few days of September and the first week of October. We will be brigning fishing poles for when we fill our tags. Is there good fishing near Thermopolis and is it all fly fishing? Man I hope we draw! I'm tired of waiting to hunt antelope in Oregon.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricochet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I heard Wind River Canyon was was pretty good for rainbows this spring. The browns might be good closer to that time of year. I am pretty sure you can drown worms there if you want. Might have to check the regs. to be sure. The only thing I saw was some stuff about sauger and walleye identification, but no tackle restrictions. There are pull outs alongside the road all through the canyon and north of town. Boysen Reservoir is not too far south, that can be good sometimes, but a boat helps. There are some misc. little bass ponds and stuff to look into pretty close, too. South Pass and the Big Horns have lakes and streams and are like 1.5 hours or something like that from Thermop. So there is stuff around, just depends on what you want to do. Kindof a neat centrally located town. Some people go to Thermop. just for the fishing and then go play in the hot springs. The only thing to watch out for is the tunnel trolls. You have to hold your feet off the floor and hold your breath as you go through the tunnels or the trolls will make sure you don't catch anything. I am not sure if they make an exception for the driver or not. Good luck in the draw.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-17-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Again, thanks for the info! We put in for troll tags as well. Predator Control!
    Last edited by Ricochet; 05-18-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    The only thing to watch out for is the tunnel trolls. You have to hold your feet off the floor and hold your breath as you go through the tunnels or the trolls will make sure you don't catch anything. I am not sure if they make an exception for the driver or not. Good luck in the draw.
    Ha. I love it!!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Again, thanks for the info! We put in for troll tags as well. Predator Control!
    lol, good thinking! Their smaller cousin the auto-gate troll live out where you are antelope hunting. you are supposed to honk as you go over cattle guards so you don't run over their fingers, but if you are hunting them, then maybe don't honk.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-18-2014 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/wy-littlepeople.html

Trolls might not be a nice name for these little guys. From the story, I don't think I am going to hang out with them.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-18-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That was a cool story. For some reason I have always thought little people were cool. Wee Man is awesome!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricochet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    I fished the big horn river right out of town and did well on trout last year. I will defiantly bring my fly rod if I draw 83 this fall.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    We will be brigning fishing poles for when we fill our tags. Is there good fishing near Thermopolis and is it all fly fishing? Man I hope we draw! I'm tired of waiting to hunt antelope in Oregon.
    Both the Bighorn and Wind rivers (same river, the name just changes at the Reservation line) can be great fishing that time of year. If you want to plan to fish the canyon (Wind) side, you'll have to get a Reservation fishing license, or a State fishing license to fish the Thermopolis side. I think the canyon would provide more opportunity for catching big fish that time of year, people pull some giant browns out of the canyon every fall. The canyon would also be easier to fish from the bank do to the lack of private ground found on the Thermop side. There are no bait/tackle restrictions in place for either spot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    Lib,

I plan to come out and fish even if I only draw doe antelope tags. I did explore the wind river side and probably buy a permit to fish there. Caught some monster bows on streamers under an indicator. Any idea on horn growth on the antelope in the Thermopolis area?