Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow weight

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts

Question Arrow weight

I'm looking at making my arrow weight heavier that what it is now at 390 grains, what is a good arrow weight to be using. And i am shooting 70lbs at 28 inch draw it that helps at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    https://www.avidarchers.com/arrow_weight_charts.htm

From the chart you are well above the minimum recommended. I sounds like heavier arrows will drop your speed and not have as flat a trajectory, but might have more Kinetic energy for penetration. I am not sure if just a different broadhead would have the same result but keep the trajectory and speed of the lighter arrow.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/...r/penetration/ For the KE calcs. I guess you need the speed of the arrow, so you can compare that way. You can play with the calculator deal on this link, but if the heavier arrow drops your speed you end up with the same or less kinetic energy, but not as flat a trajectory, so no advantage. I am not really sure, just some stuff to look at. The arrow construction and stuff are some other things to look at it sounds like. It could be a good debate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    473 grn is good.. 28.25 arrow length Easton FMJ lost camo

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm shooting Beman ICS Hunter 300s. 65lb, 29.5" draw, 420 gr arrow. The latest Eastmans Bowhunter gave a recommendation that if shooting a fixed blade bd, you can shoot a stiffer spined (heavier) arrow. Shooting thru the conograph a few weeks ago my KE was 83.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cnalder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    OK right now i shoot the Easton axis 400. And i was thinking of trying to get a higher FOC by going to a stiffer spine 340 and either getting 125 grain broad head or adding two inserts up front?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Holy cow 83 ft-lbs? That is pretty good. I might be a little light on my arrows. Thanks for the topic. I might have to look at getting some stiffer spine jobbers myself. I prefer fixed blade, no good reason it just seems more sturdy to me. I figured my arrow to be (didn't have a scale, might go into the shop tomorrow) about 410 grains with 70# of pull and 31" draw length. I have never shot a chrono, though. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
    OK right now i shoot the Easton axis 400. And i was thinking of trying to get a higher FOC by going to a stiffer spine 340 and either getting 125 grain broad head or adding two inserts up front?
    Might need to go .300 spine. I would say you are underspined with the 400 spine. I am shooting 72lbs and 27.5" draw and need to run a .300 spine arrow.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would go with a 125 gr head on a .300 spine if I were you. No more than a .340 spine. .400 is a little weak for your DL and poundage.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 6 Posts
    I shoot a Mathews Z7, 70lbs, 28" draw and my arrow weighs in at around 475 grains. I shoot Easton pro hunter 340s 125 grain broadhead with blazer veins. I can post a video of me shooting them at 100 yds if you want. Truly a great arrow. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
    I'm looking at making my arrow weight heavier that what it is now at 390 grains, what is a good arrow weight to be using. And i am shooting 70lbs at 28 inch draw it that helps at all.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 2 Posts
    453 grains here with carbon express pile driver arrows cut to 27.5 inches at 70 pounds. 100 grain broadhead and 40 grain insert on the front... these things fly like darts! I'm shooting almost 290 fps and won't be changing my setup for elk this year
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)