Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrow weight

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK i just don't want to get to heavy of an arrow and have to slow of of an arrow. As long as i"m within 280 and 300 feet a second i'll be happy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats a tough one for others to figure out. What bow are you shooting? Speed isn't everything. In fact I have a short draw length and my setup shoots right around 285 fps. I like that speed, instead of the pins being stacked one on top of the other my pins have a little spacing between them. I would rather have the right arrow/bow combo that shots great than a fast arrow/bow combo that doesn't shoot well at all. The best thing you can do is go to a archery shop and shoot a few different arrow field tip combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
    OK i just don't want to get to heavy of an arrow and have to slow of of an arrow. As long as i"m within 280 and 300 feet a second i'll be happy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Right now i am shooting a hoyt spyder turbo with a 3 pin black gold ascent.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had a pass through on elk everytime I have hit one broadside with my set up, and I shoot just regular Gold tip arrows. I shoot a 340 grain arrow with 100 grain slick tricks out of a 332 fps bow with a 30 inch draw. Granted, my actual speed is somewhere in the 305-310 range. I know my arrows are not as near as heavy as some, but my experience shows that I dont need any more weight. Plus, I like having the exra speed to keep my arrows from dropping as much further out. I would rather have a flat shooting arrow and be accurate as I can be...

I wouldnt add too much weight that causes you to lose too much speed. Broadheads will affect your pentration just as much as adding weight in my humble opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For elk this year i am using fmj 340, 474 grain @ 280 fps, i feel safer with a heavier arrow for elk.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
    Ill give up all my hunting in Michigan for 2 weeks in the high country

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm weighing in at 470. These things are blowing through targets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would have to agree that it is a good idea to lean on the heavy side on the arrow weight. Realistically how far are you going to shoot at a Elk? I hunted many years like others here with a turtle of a bow. I sighted that bow in just like I do the one I shoot now. If you know your yardage and If your bow is sighted in properly shooting a slow bow is really no different than shooting a fast bow. I really don't get the whole "I want to get 10 more fps out of my bow." discussions. It really doesn't make that huge of a difference. Light arrows have their own set of issues especially on big animals.
    Last edited by 25contender; 05-21-2014 at 09:44 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 25contender For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Realistically i don't plan on shooting much past 50 yards maybe 60 yards if everything is just right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am shooting a total weight of 440 grains with my Slick Trick 100 Magnum broad head. My brother is shooting a 370 grain weight arrow with same broad head. Last, year, he shot a big bull slightly quarterly away and got terrible penetration. Shoot seemed perfect, penetration terrible. I ended up shooting a big bull and got pass through penetration. His shot was 25 yards and my shot was 35 yards. I have no idea how fast my Mathews Swithcback is pushing the 440 grain areas. My brothers bow is new and smoking fast, but something went wrong, hit a rib maybe and he did not get adequate penetration. Year before last with my exact same setup, I got complete pass through on another big bull at 30 yards and hit a rib.

Based on my experiences with elk, I prefer a little heavier arrow.

WillPower

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
    Realistically i don't plan on shooting much past 50 yards maybe 60 yards if everything is just right.
    Don't worry about speed. I am around 270-280 with my rigs and that's with my 463 grain arrow. I could go heavier. Next year maybe I will bump up the foc a touch with a 125 head and put me at 490. All I care about is momentum and KE. Speed is the last thing to care about.
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather