Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 7 Mag vs .300

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've always used a 7mm. Shot everything from Caribou and Deer to Elk. I recently took it over to Africa and it had no issues dropping big plains game like Kudu. A good bullet and you've got yourself a great round! I'm a firm believer in the Barnes TSX bullets!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    One will kill big game just as dead as the other.

The 7MM Rem Mag seems to be the most powerful rifle that most hunters can shoot off a beach w/o flinching. I know it is for me. I've seen men far bigger hunters than me suffer recoil shock from the .300 Win Mag.

The reality is the .270 Win, .280 Rem, and .30-06 will kill big game just as dead as any magnum. All a hunter has to do is place a bullet where it needs to be. There ain't a North American big game animal that's long for the world sans its heart and/or lungs.

Were I given a do-over, I'd buy only one rifle: a Sako AV in .280 Rem and never look back.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Knock down power is a funny concept in elk hunting, IMO. I have seen bulls killed with a number of different cartridges from .243 to .338 WM. I have yet to see one get "knocked down" so to speak. I have seen them drop suddenly, but only from CNS hits. Usually regardless of caliber, they soak up a shot to the vitals and tip over when their blood pressure drops.

I have killed my last couple elk with the 7 Rem Mag and found its performance more than adequate. My advice is to use the rifle you are most comfortable with. Bullet selection and shot placement erases any practical terminal difference between these two cartridges. As mentioned above, both of these cartridges are excellent choices for elk hunting with a quality bullet and well-placed shot.

You're absolutely right. Just as no self-defense handgun has ability to knock down an assailant, no big game rifle has ability to knock down big game.

Everything dies by either destruction of the brain or lack of oxygen to it. Most hunters opt for the latter by destroying heart and/or lungs. What cartridge destroys hearts & lungs is immaterial. That they are destroyed is.

I am good with any reasonable cartridges hunters use since they're personal preference. As long as they're capable of penetrating thoraxes and destroying hearts & lungs, I'm good.

How many elephants did that fella in Africa kill with a 7x57? He did opt for the brain destruction route.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Which ever one you shoot the best ! I do most of my hunting with a 7stw and 140 gr barnes ttsx prarie dogs to elk it's suited me well. However I did kill my best bull with a .300 win mag and 180 gr barnes tsx I shoot lots of coyotes with that setup and have total confidence in that rifle as well as the stw's I have. Personal preference on which you use. You can't go wrong with either.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 78 Times in 7 Posts
    Just buy a .300 Pegasus and you won't have to worry any of this nonsense!!

http://www.broadswordgroup.com/300_pegasus.html
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I definitely would not use that same 150 grain Core Lokt bullet for elk. It's not that it's too light, but Core Lokts don't stay together, especially when pushed at the speed it will be from a 7 mag.

Get some decent elk bullets, Barnes or Nosler Accubonds. Weight doesn't matter, although in 7mm I like 160's.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    bdan I respect the opinion but your climbing uphill on this forum if you say the core-lokt isn't an effective elk killer! That bullet has killed more elk than all the bullets you mentioned combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    I definitely would not use that same 150 grain Core Lokt bullet for elk. It's not that it's too light, but Core Lokts don't stay together, especially when pushed at the speed it will be from a 7 mag.

Get some decent elk bullets, Barnes or Nosler Accubonds. Weight doesn't matter, although in 7mm I like 160's.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    bdan I respect the opinion but your climbing uphill on this forum if you say the core-lokt isn't an effective elk killer! That bullet has killed more elk than all the bullets you mentioned combined.
    I'm not saying it won't work but there are much better choices. I've seen a 150 grain core Lokt out of a 30/06 come apart on a small mule deer, and the only bone it hit was a single rib. I sure wouldn't trust that same bullet to get through the shoulder of a mature bull elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Chuck Norris shoots CORE-LOKT!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swampokie View Post
    Chuck Norris shoots CORE-LOKT!
    Sure he does....in his AK!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley