Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Agnes ul3

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 5 Posts

Big Agnes ul3

I bought a brand new big Agnes fly creek ul3 thinking was going to hunt with a buddy but he said not backpacking. So do u guys think I need to sell it and get the fly creek ul2 to save some weight the ul2 is 2lbs 5oz and the ul3 is 3lbs 8oz. What do u think? Do u guys use your own tent or share on a backpack hunt if u go with someone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A pound can be a lot of weight. It sure is nice to share. One guy can take the stakes and poles and the other the fabric or whatever. I am usually too beat to care about farting and snoring all night, but maybe that is why no one goes with me. Just kidding. I guess I haven't shared hunting, but regular backpacking, sharing is not too bad I don't think. If you think you are going solo, and won't lose a ton of money maybe go for the smaller one. Just batting ideas around I guess. Oh almost forgot, I am not familiar with that tent, but if it says three person, two adult males is pretty snug. I carry a two person lately and I pretty much fill it up and the dog has to sleep outside until it gets chilly then she warms my feet. That is handy.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 05-20-2014 at 07:26 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    If you sell the 3 to get a 2, you'll definitely end up with a 1 man tent.. That UL2 is about perfect for 1 guy, no way it sleeps 2. I'm a pretty small guy, and you couldn't hardly fit 2 of me in there.
    I'm okay with sleeping right next to my partner, but I'm NOT down with sleeping on top of him!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    You can fit two guys in a UL2, but like others have states it's tight! My buddy has one and I've had the pleasure or displeasure of spending a couple nights with him in it. It would make a good one man for sure. Tough decision... a pound is a lot when it comes to backpacking but if the extra room is what you desire, it may be worth it. If it were me and I was certain most of my trips would be solo, I'd probably be looking to sell it and get a 1 or 2 man.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    It depends on how far and often you plan on packing it too. Is the extra pound worth packing for the extra room? Its still under 4 pounds which all that heavy unless you plan on packing in a long ways in steep country.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    It depends on how far and often you plan on packing it too. Is the extra pound worth packing for the extra room? Its still under 4 pounds which all that heavy unless you plan on packing in a long ways in steep country.
    That's a good point. I get stuck on the backpacker mentality of shaving ounces, but the extra room could be more important. I don't think I would notice an extra pound on the hikes I generally go on. With all the extra gear for hunting, more room is good. It might not hurt to keep the ul3 for just in case someone goes with you so you don't need to get another tent. I used to skip the sleeping pad to shave ounces, but now that is like the first thing on my list. Instead of shaving ounces grow stronger, arrrrgh! Just kidding. Tough choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 58 Times in 6 Posts
    Stick with the 3 man unless you like sleeping single wide double deep!! I had an emerald mountain 2 man and it wasn't cozy unless my wife was with me!!! My bad if your hunting alone get a two man and add on a vestibule if someone else goes with ya!
    Last edited by woodtick; 05-20-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    I bought a brand new big Agnes fly creek ul3 thinking was going to hunt with a buddy but he said not backpacking. So do u guys think I need to sell it and get the fly creek ul2 to save some weight the ul2 is 2lbs 5oz and the ul3 is 3lbs 8oz. What do u think? Do u guys use your own tent or share on a backpack hunt if u go with someone.

For me sharing a tent is a matter of a couple factors; First, how long the trip is. Second, who I'm going with. Third, What kind of tent we'd be sharing. On longer trips I want to shave the weight so I take my UL1 tent, only sharing if I have a comfortable tent and I want to share with the person I'm going with-Againstthewind, I don't know if it is the farting, snoring, or the dog, but I think that trip would be separate tents.

For me, I would rather pack a heavier tent on a long trip rather than deal with sleeping conditions that don't allow me to get a good sleep. As has been mentioned the Fly creek is a small tent. For a solo trip 3lbs 8oz is heavy but doable, it isn't a deal breaker but the size of the tent in my bag is a bit of an issue. I don't want my tent taking up too much room.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

10. The Following User Says Thank You to clacklin009 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    -Againstthewind, I don't know if it is the farting, snoring, or the dog, but I think that trip would be separate tents.
    I have a few more strikes against me, lol. I am 6'1 275ish which might be a little small for a defensive tackle, but kindof big for sharing a tent. I also sleep like I have been possessed by demons. We have one of those canopy beds and every once in a while the blankets and sheets are hanging from it somehow. That is a little off topic, sorry.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    I have a few more strikes against me, lol. I am 6'1 275ish which might be a little small for a defensive tackle, but kindof big for sharing a tent. I also sleep like I have been possessed by demons. We have one of those canopy beds and every once in a while the blankets and sheets are hanging from it somehow. That is a little off topic, sorry.
    That's funny. That made me laugh