Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time DIY archery hunt

This is my first DIY archery elk hunt. We are all avid archers for whitetails. myself and two good friends got drawn for unit 40 in wyoming after buying points for 5 years and it finally happened we are all first timers. we have elk hunted before but not like this just looking for any advice. We have fourteen days to hunt. wondering what gear to bring, any info on good areas in 40 what time of the month to go, if we should backpack every day or set up a good basecamp. We are open to any help or suggestions. Any help is good help. been waiting a long time for this. CANT WAIT FOR SEPTEMBER

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Did you draw the archery only type9 tag or the type 1 tag?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Congratulations on the tag.

You will likely get more advice if you take a little time and give the good folks on here an introduction.
    I'll be down in the southern part of the state myself.
    Been waiting for a long LONG time!!!!!
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

4. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Did you draw the archery only type9 tag or the type 1 tag?
    If he plans on archery hunting in September in unit 40, they better have a Type 9 A/O tag, as there is no special archery season on a Type 1 tag that's good only for the October hunt in that unit! If I had the Type 9 tag, I'd hunt the middle two weeks when the bulls should be looking for cows and be coming to a cow call better than they do after the better ones have rounded up their harems. Then it's hard to get other than the smaller satellite bulls to come in and trying to stalk a good bull when he has a lot of cows around him is very tough. By going the middle two weeks it would give a better chance than going the first two or last two weeks in a normal year. If that is not able to be done, I'd hunt the last two weeks to insure catching at least a decent part of the rut.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-12-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Welcome. Head over to our new members thread and check it out. Lots of great advise here for new western hunters. Good luck on the tag!
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Congratulations on the tag.

You will likely get more advice if you take a little time and give the good folks on here an introduction.
    I'll be down in the southern part of the state myself.
    Been waiting for a long LONG time!!!!!
    I like the early part of September as there is usually less competition and the bulls can be very visible. My last bull I bugled in on September 1st. They aren't screaming their heads off but they are very responsive. Best advice I can give is to call less and stalk more. Get reasonably close before calling and then let the elk response and situation dictate how much you call. I also like hunting wallows in the warm weather of early September. I almost never call when using this strategy as I don't want them focused on anything but the wallow its self. Play the wind! Tree stands can also be really effective on wallows if you have light portable ones you don't mind packing in. Also pay attention to scent control. I like to spray my feet with scent killer before walking into an ambush area- especially if you are planning on more than one sit at a location. IMO, elk are less tolerant of human scent than a whitetail. Good luck guys and remember not to pass a bull on day one that you would shoot on the last day! Elk chances are few and far between...

What dates are you Hunting Jim? My rifle season opens Oct 1tth. I'll be a little south of you in 108. I plan on going archery and being very very picky so I will likely end up back out there in October.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We did draw the type 9 tag. Thanks for all the great info and I will check out the new members area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am from MN as well. We will be hunting cows and deer just south of you in 49.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had best luck just putting my gear on my back, and going hunting. I sleep where I end up, and can be on them again the next day. That is in Idaho, where roads are few.
    I like early to mid September better, than Late.
    Late September they can be more vocal, but hard to call, and herds are hard to stalk on.
    Get a good decoy, as I have had good luck with them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm a new elk hunter as well. I grew up in the Midwest chasing whitetail and turkey. I shot my first bull last year. Here is a little advice I would recommend. GET IN SHAPE!! I'm not talking about going on long walks or short little jogs. I mean push yourself harder than you've ever pushed yourself physically. Flatlanders that don't do this will be hurting in the mountains because of the terrain and the lack of oxygen due to the altitude! If you think you're in good enough shape, you're NOT! Start NOW!! Also, read Mike Eastman's elk hunting book and Cameron Hanes' Backcountry Bowhunting book. Read through these forums and learn from the seasoned pros. Get QUALITY boots and aftermarket inserts! My feet just about ruined my trip last year due to my heels slipping in my boots, causing huge, nasty blisters!! Read through here about what others are wearing, try them on and break them in! If you aren't practicing at extended archery range now, get started. What is extended range? It's different from person to person. Your extended range may be 40 yards and the next guy may be 80 yards. Don't plan on a 15 yard chip shot. Practice shooting and make sure EVERY arrow flies straight! Don't just practice with one and hope all the others fly right. Get good, cut on contact broadheads and start shooting them. Get in shape!!! Practice shooting your bows in the camo/clothes you'll be hunting in. Don't just shoot in shorts and a t-shirt and expect to shoot the same in your camo with gloves. Run!! Then run some more! Get a quality pack and start hiking with it weighted down. Start light then work your way on up to heavy packs (80#+). After you get yourself in really good shape, keep pushing yourself and practice using your gear on a few outings. Try to go as light as possible with the stuff you pack. Next, work out even harder!! (Notice the theme of my message?) And most important.... ENJOY YOURSELF!! Take pics because this will be one of the best trips of your life! Enjoy it. Soak it in all the beauty and relax while you're out there. Oh yeah... WORK OUT!!!

Knappy