Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts

7mm-08 for elk- Nosler response

As a lot of you know I bought my wife a 7mm-08 for an elk hunt coming up in October. I have been back and forth on bullet selection so I decided to email Nosler to ask what their thoughts were. I figured I would get a bit more feedback from them after waiting two weeks for a response... Here is the email chain. The two sentences in quotations are all I received back.

"Generally its not looked at as a ELK round. But If I was to be used a 150gr Partition would be my choice"

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wed 5/7/2014 12:05 PM
    To: Nosler Catalog
    Subject: Nosler Contact - 7mm-08 ammo

Hey there,

Dave asked a question, at here's what they asked:

Name: Dave
    *: Donohoe
    Email Address: dave@*********.com
    Phone: 402-***-****
    Subject: 7mm-08 ammo
    Message: My wife and I are hunting elk in Wyoming this fall. We didn't feel comfortable with her .243 for cow elk so we purchased a new 7mm-08. Now I am trying to decide what the best factory ammo to use would be. Shots will be kept below 300 yards. I am down to three bullets and two of them are yours. The three are Partition, Accubond, and the TTSX from barnes. What are your thoughts on the best 7mm-08 round for elk?
    Submitted On: 2014-05-07 12:05:07
    IP Address: *****************

Note:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well that helps......what a waste!
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well a .243 with the proper bullets will do fine for elk so IMO a 7mm/08 is heads above that. A good 140 gr. bullet for the 7mm/08 is more than adequate for elk. The "all hail the magnum" gang will throw a tissey about the caliber choice but..........

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Interesting response.

I guess it is true that it isn't generally considered an elk cartridge, but...

I would happily use my 7-08 for elk at 300 yards any day.

I bet if you asked if a 140 accubond out of a 7RM would work for elk at 500 yards, you would get a yes. Which would be interesting because the same bullet out of the 7-08 at 300 yards would be traveling the same speed - around 2350 fps.

(3250 fps muzzle velocity for the 7RM and 2850 fps muzzle velocity for the 7-08).
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 05-21-2014 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbhunts View Post
    Well that helps......what a waste!
    Yeah I expected a little technical talk to help make up my mind. Maybe a little explanation on design or something other than bad grammar telling me I made a bad caliber choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    My daughter has dumped two cow elk with the Barnes 140 grain TSX. That's what I would use...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Go with the Barnes! The Nosler employee obviously doesn't have much confidence in Nosler bullets. If he did, he would have said the 7/08 is an outstanding elk cartridge if loaded with the proper bullets!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bdan68 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    Yeah I expected a little technical talk to help make up my mind. Maybe a little explanation on design or something other than bad grammar telling me I made a bad caliber choice.
    That's exactly why I responded as such.

For what it's worth....I have some 140gr Accubonds and Hornady SSTs loaded for my .270wsm. Both shoot excellent. But I have some 150gr partitions loaded for elk. If I ever get to go after an Elk! I like the construction of the Partition through thicker hide, and meat, to push through than deer sized game. The 140s shoot under 1" at 100yrds consistently. The Partitions right under 2" last time I shot them for groups. Could be my specific rifle, it didn't like 150gr Win Supreme either, but they just aren't as accurate as the other 2 loads I have. They will still be my go to for Elk though!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    Go with the Barnes! The Nosler employee obviously doesn't have much confidence in Nosler bullets. If he did, he would have said the 7/08 is an outstanding elk cartridge if loaded with the proper bullets!
    Why should they backtrack....the Partition is by far and away the best bullet for elk sized animals and larger. I've shot elk & moose with it and performance was flawless. Sure I'm "old school" , but its hard to find any bullet that does a better job. I sure will not use any other bullet in my .300 Wby.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 05-21-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The 150 Partition would definitely be a good choice as well. It's really just personal preference. Hard to go wrong with all the good bullets we have available to us nowadays. Just don't use a Core Lokt! Actually, with the velocity a 7/08 produces, even a Core Lokt may work just fine.