Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Antelope Hunting - Blind vs Spot-n-Stock w/ Decoy

This will be my first year hunting antelope with a bow and I wanted to get some opinions of the seasoned vets out there. I am debating sitting on a water hole in a tent blind or going with the spot-n-stock with a decoy. Being very familiar with my hunt unit there are many good watering holes but the terrain is also good for stocking (not too flat and wide open). I will be hunting in 2 day spirts throughout the season so I don't think I should switch it up too much. My hunt starts Aug 1st and I would appreciate some opinions. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    what unit are you hunting?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If this is your first time I would go with sitting on a water hole as option #1. Spot and stalk is always an option if the location of the antelope is in a position where a stalk could take place. I would suggest you do some pre season scouting on the water holes in the area. If you know the area, then this isn't a big deal. But it happens to many times, someone thinks they have the best water hole, and they find out after two days of no antelope that another water hole was just over the next hill. Blind hunting will be your best chance at a antelope. Just hunt where you know the antelope have been coming in. Just because you find a water hole, doesnt mean the antelope use it. The blind will also hide more of your movement to give you a better chance of taking a shot with a bow.

Setting up your blind requires some thought as well. How far is dependant on your shooting range. I like to set mine up around 25-30 yards away. I know where the sun will come up in the morning as well. I don't want the sun shinning in the blind while trying to shoot. Try to set if off any mark trails coming into the blind. If it rains, go to option #2.

If your hunting in August, trying to decoy in antelope may not be your best bet. I suggest use the terrain to your advantage to get close enough for a shot. The other spot and stock option would be to use a newer product out last year. It's a company called Bethedecoy.com Its a decoy you wear. It looks funny at first, but I used it last year and it worked great. It can also be worn to get to the blind if you show up a little after first light. The antelope see what looks like another antelope going to water from a distance, and that gives them confidence to come in to water as well. Plus you will have the antelope hat in the blind with you, in case you get a spot and stalk opportunity. It's just another tool to have incase option #1 is not producing. ou can only use during a archery only season.

Hope this helps. I remember my first antelope hunt, and it was one of the best hunts of my life.
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent
    Landshark by Simmons Sharks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Using a blind at a waterhole is the most productive way to take an antelope with a bow. From my experience once you pattern the goats they are quite predictable as to when they come in to water everyday and the way they aproach. As far as spot and stalk go's I believe this has got to be the ultimate challenge for taking antelope with archery gear. I have never taken one spot and stalk with a bow yet, but have had a good time trying..........be prepared for a lot of failed stalks, but with antelope hunting you usually get several opportunities a day, good luck!
    Last edited by Pronghorn73; 06-03-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    what unit are you hunting?
    Unit 015

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Stringmusic & Pronghorn73

Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it as a new bowhunter. Another quick question, I what do you think about posting the decoy on the water hole while I am sitting in the blind? help or hurt?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you do a good job of scouting the waterholes out and know which ones they are coming to, I would leave the decoy in the truck or the blind. Although decoys work very well at times, they also can scare antelope away, particularly if you are using a buck decoy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
    If you do a good job of scouting the waterholes out and know which ones they are coming to, I would leave the decoy in the truck or the blind. Although decoys work very well at times, they also can scare antelope away, particularly if you are using a buck decoy.
    +1

I have tried placing a doe butt decoy inorder to get antelope relaxed enough to come in, but all they did was circle down wind. When they didn't smell what they wanted, they left in a hurry.
    >>>----------------->
    Strother Inspire
    Gold Tip Kenetics 300
    Ripcord Code Red
    Tight Spot Quiver
    Black Gold Ascent
    Landshark by Simmons Sharks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, save the decoy for stalking.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it.