Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

When do yall buy your flights?

I'm flying out to Colorado in early September and wondering when is the best time to buy tickets. I know there is a happy medium between early and to late, but I just wanted to know what yall might have leaned with your experience. Thanks for any advice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    Guessing airline future pricing is like trying to guess the weather in the mountains... very unpredictable. My best advice is to check daily until you find the rate your happy with. We usually find that rate for us anywhere from 6 to 10 weeks out. Since I moved to Nebraska, I can now drive so my life got a lot easier. When I was in southern Texas, I had to fly back or I lost too much time...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In 2011 and 2012 I traveled every week for my company. I boarded over 150 flights each year. I found that the purchasing timeframe to find the cheapest price depended upon the type of flight and remaining seats.

If you fly a common travel route, such as Houston to Denver, the pricing won't vary much. I've only found $50 cheaper fights a few times.

The flights into small airports, on the other hand, are very volatile. If you wait too long and the flight fills up one will be deciding between paying $200 more or flying in the next day. If you really want to get the bottom price, my suggestion would be find your ideal flight and watch the remaining seats. Subscribing to some of the ticketing websites can help too. I've had great luck with airfarewatchdog.com. Also, there are websites that give great historical prices and delay stats of flights. PM me if you are interested. I've got them saved at the office and will post them if folks are interested.

After all of that, my preference is to identify what flight fits your schedule the best and book it early, a couple months in advance. Unless the price for a later/earlier flight is substantial, I put a greater value on maximizing my time in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arwaterfowler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    arwaterfowler,

Great information there and posting up those websites for everyone to see would be great

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I've heard 3pm on a Tuesday six weeks before your flight is the cheapest
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 72 Times in 10 Posts
    I really think it depends on where you are flying too. Some places are easy to get tickets at the last minute some are not. As a example when I fly into Kalispell MT there are limited flights and depending on the time of year they fill up fast. And if you are using frequent flyer miles for your ticket its not uncommon for those seats to be gone a few months out. For that flight I book it in June for Sept. Some others like Missoula are not quite as bad but I still book them a few months out. The only draw back to booking that far out is that some flights and times change before the flight date...Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    AR- Great advice, I bookmarked that link. Thanks!
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure how true it is but I've read that 50-60 days prior to your date of travel is the best time. Just watch the flights and if prices drop, buy it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When we used to fly east to visit my wife's family, we found 30-60 days out was about best, but that doesn't seem to hold true anymore. I would suggest identifying the flight you want to take and checking, right now, how much it costs every week or two going forward, maybe you will notice a pattern. Also, if you have a little flexibility, check different days of the week as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    arwaterfowler,

Great information there and posting up those websites for everyone to see would be great
    Check out flightstats.com and http://www.transtats.bts.gov/ot_dela...elaycause1.asp

Flightstats is a good one. You can search by individual flight number.
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"