Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS for hunting

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule3006Elk View Post
    Garmin 655t. Add Hunting GPS maps. You'll be good to go. Agree, I would NOT use my iphone.
    Agree, just got mine and ready to put some tracks on there. I think they do need some better instructions on using it though, takes a lot of playing around.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    And if you want to have all the capabilities of GPS without carry a GPS. You can get something like this.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/...0#BVRRWidgetID
    The goal zero works great! I have used it the last two years on my extended pack in trips and it has work awesome and able to charge whatever I have and it's nice not to have to conserve or worry about battery life cuz as wood tick said just strap it to your pack and charge while hunting or hiking.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can tell that most of you guys are younger generation tech savvy hunters, and I applaud your expertise, but a friendly word of advice. NEVER go into the back country without a compass and topo map of the area you plan to hunt. Batteries fail, and charging devices do not work well with no sun. This system served us older hunters well when there were no smart phones or hand held GPS units.

I carry a compass, map, GPS, SPOT, and cell phone. If I could take only one, it would be the compass. FYI, even if you have no cell service, many times you can still send a text message.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok so I settled on the garmin 650
    Now, do you buy the 650 t with topo maps or buy the one without and buy the onXmap chip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    If I were you, I'd get the chips through the company like I do for my Legend HCx and I think you'll be happy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    skip the T version

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    I can tell that most of you guys are younger generation tech savvy hunters, and I applaud your expertise, but a friendly word of advice. NEVER go into the back country without a compass and topo map of the area you plan to hunt. Batteries fail, and charging devices do not work well with no sun. This system served us older hunters well when there were no smart phones or hand held GPS units.

I carry a compass, map, GPS, SPOT, and cell phone. If I could take only one, it would be the compass. FYI, even if you have no cell service, many times you can still send a text message.
    SF I am by no means a young one and at 46 my compass and maps always make my pack....I am too old school to trust any new device just to get me home. The spot or a similar device in my opinion should be in every backcountry hunters pack too.

+1 on the T version.....I paid the extra money for no real reason IMO.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I don't carry my cellphone.....I know all you young guys will shake your head in disbelief. First my phone is a dumb one, no smart phone here! Second, probably 75% of the area I hunt has no coverage anyway. I do carry a SPOT, compass and a topo map. I have a GPS that really works (Garmin Oregon 600 with landowner chips for the states I hunt) and I really use it a lot. I hunt alone a lot and am 72 years old and my wife insists I take my SPOT. I also usually leave my cellphone in my truck or at camp and know where I can get reception.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    Colorado Cowboy, does the landowner chips show more than just ownership of tracks, such as elevation, topo, etc..?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Nope, just ownership per county records. You get elevation & topo with the T version of the GPS.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley