Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GPS for hunting

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Remember that if you don't have cell coverage you won't have mapping on your cell phone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
    Remember that if you don't have cell coverage you won't have mapping on your cell phone.
    Actually depending on the app you can cache the map of the area you'll be hunting and it will work without cell coverage as long as you leave your wifi on, most of these newer smart phones have GLONASS at least on the iPhone 4s or higher does this allows for GPS tracking out of cell coverage. I use my phone a lot in areas without cell coverage.
    Last edited by woodtick; 05-26-2014 at 10:37 PM.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    And if you want to have all the capabilities of GPS without carry a GPS. You can get something like this.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home/...0#BVRRWidgetID
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    Actually depending on the app you can cache the map of the area you'll be hunting and it will work without cell coverage as long as you leave your wifi on, most of these newer smart phones have GLONASS at least on the iPhone 4s or higher does this allows for GPS tracking out of cell coverage. I use my phone a lot in areas without cell coverage.
    Good info Woodtick. I didn't know they had the GPS chip in the iPhone. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
    Good info Woodtick. I didn't know they had the GPS chip in the iPhone. Thanks for the info.
    The biggest thing is having an app that will actually allow you cache map areas, I've been using one from OnXmaps and one called GPSkit. They both allow caching, onXmaps is free but limited unless you start purchasing maps from them, they make all these hunt maps you see for GPS's and you can get landownership and all that stuff with their "purchased" maps. GPSkit is about $9 and it doesn't have landownership data but it does have some pretty good stuff with it, it'll track mileage, let you set way points and show ascent/decent on another output screen, plus you can set your cached map to be either topo, satellite imagery or both. I've been told you can take your tracks and download it to GoogleEarth but haven't played with that yet. I only take my GPS when I need land ownership boundaries cause I bought a bunch of miniSD's before I started playing with the iPhone
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

7. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great info on the phone apps and gps, thanks again. I guess the next logical question is what are using for a charger. I know a few companies offer a solar charger but not sure how they'd work. The gps app drains the battery pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Motion X allows caching.

Lots of phones have GPS, lots of cameras too! Its scary to think that you are almost never alone (except when you actually need help), todays technology is scary amazing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been toying with the idea of taking my 7-inch tablet with a cached land ownership map and a device like Woodtick mentioned.

I usually hunt day trips from the truck so I don't worry so much about battery life. I have a solar charger in the truck and one I can plug in when I'm driving. It would save me $350 by not buying a Garmin Oregon and the screen is much bigger.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quite a few areas in the mountains of Colorado have spotty cell coverage. I always carry a cell phone, a GPS, a topo map, a compass, and extra fresh batteries. Hopefully I'll have whatever comes up covered. But I'd never just rely on a cell phone.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by forest ninja View Post
    Great info on the phone apps and gps, thanks again. I guess the next logical question is what are using for a charger. I know a few companies offer a solar charger but not sure how they'd work. The gps app drains the battery pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I strap this bad boy on to my pack and charge everything in my pack while I'm hunting

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Goal-...h-All+Products
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME