Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bitterroot I have all the beer that you can drink if you ever come through Bozeman and let me try all of your awesome optics, and just pick you brain about what all of us broke hunters should buy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Big Sky,

I make it over to the Bozone often, I have family there. Maybe I'll see you at Aleworks sometime, and we can swap some stories.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well your complete confidence in these binoculars made me finally decide on the pair I wanted. Ive been debating on so many diff binos in this price range for the longest time and I have yet to hear any negative comments that would effect me to much on the ed2s. I also hear their starting to build a great reputation for customer service and they send very quickly. Thank you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the great post. This is very, very helpful to those of us who have to make decisions on something less than Alphas, or at least are looking for an option to coughing up that much dough along with a spotting scope, and other western gear.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by dead river View Post
    Thanks for the great post. This is very, very helpful to those of us who have to make decisions on something less than Alphas, or at least are looking for an option to coughing up that much dough along with a spotting scope, and other western gear.
    You are welcome. My post was aimed right at someone in your situation. There really are some great binocular values available right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yep. Now that I have decided on binos, i am moving on to my decision in a spotting scope. I think i am going to stick with 60ish mm objective due to weight and I may get the wife a lower magnification 50ish mm scope..

This NM trip as my wife's graduation promise is adding up but I can use most of this stuff on my prarie trips too...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    dead river,

Start a thread asking for recommendations for a spotter. Include your budget (low to high), typical glassing ranges, species, terrain, and a percentage of backpacking vs. vehicle-based spotting (e.g. 30% backpacking, 70% vehicle). You should get some good recommendations. Then try to get your hands on a few of the recommended to see for yourself.

I am a proponent of 50mm scopes if you mostly backpack and 80mm class scopes for mostly vehicle-based spotting. I have found that although 60mm class scopes have impressive performance, they tend to have a lot of compromises for both backpacking and vehicle-based spotting. I backpack my Vortex Razor 85HD, because the extra weight is worth it to me for the performance, especially when digiscoping or videoscoping during my hunts. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Will do BB. I have enough questions floating around on here for the time being. I can work it out over a few weeks or even the next few months..

B

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A very good review. I also have the Zen ED2's that I keep in my truck but my Swaro's are EL 10x42's. While I don't like the Zens as much as you do, I find that everything you say about them is right on the money. I think that I notice the ca a little more than you do and still notice some glare in the middle of the day in the brightest and most sunny conditions. But I have suggested them to several friends who have purchased them and fell in love. I feel that they are the best pair of $400.00 binoculars on the market at this time. Thanks for the review. fatrooster.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    fatrooster,

Thanks for the feedback. It is interesting to hear that you see CA in your Zens, as they have a reputation for correcting CA very well. The two examples I had took extreme circumstances to see any at all. If yours shows a lot of CA, I would suggest having Zen Ray take a look at it.

I am glad you brought up glare. I have noticed "veiling" glare (like someone shutting a drape across the image) with my Zens when looking at a light source at a sharp angle. It only occurs during certain circumstances, and is not much of a bother in the field. It can be mitigated by shielding the objectives with your hand, if it does occur. Many binocular designs show veiling glare (even some of the Euros), but Swarovski designs are particularly resistant to veiling glare, in my experience.

I agree the ED2 can't be beat at their price point right now. Of course, the ED3 will be shipping in August, and reportedly improves on the already great ED2.