Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    I used them all weekend on my scouting trip. Like said before, I dont have any professional optics back ground either but I will say that I think there well worth the money. I had no eye fatigue after glassing for long periods of time and the light gathering ability in low light was awesome. After it was nearly entirely dark all I could see were elk silhouettes, I put the binos up and could pick up a spike bull and a rag horn 4x5. Other wise I had no idea if there were any bulls in the group

Thanks
    I don't have elk or any such magnificent animals to look at here but I have used my new ED3's at dusk a couple of times over the last week and they really are worth the money! They are the brightest bins I've ever owned and I can't wait to use them this year whitetail hunting here in Alabama and watching Mississippi State football games.

The S4 Gear harness is just too cool and perfect!! No bouncing and no falling away from my body/chest like my other elastic harnesses have all done in the past. This was the best $40 I think I've spent in a long time!

Thanks
    Bitterroot,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How do you think the Zens compare to Vortex? I was looking seriously at the Vortex in large part because of their warranty. It appears Zen has a very similar warranty. Thoughts?

2. In the Vortex line how do the old Vipers (non-HD) compare with the newer HD versions? I am looking at the Vipers rather than the Talons because I like the 6x32 for hunting here in MO. I've read that the HD really only adds noticeable improvement at higher magnifications/further distance. Thanks for your input.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MOHunter View Post
    Bitterroot,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How do you think the Zens compare to Vortex? I was looking seriously at the Vortex in large part because of their warranty. It appears Zen has a very similar warranty. Thoughts?

2. In the Vortex line how do the old Vipers (non-HD) compare with the newer HD versions? I am looking at the Vipers rather than the Talons because I like the 6x32 for hunting here in MO. I've read that the HD really only adds noticeable improvement at higher magnifications/further distance. Thanks for your input.
    MOHunter:

1. The Zen Ray ED2 is a brother of the Vortex Talon HD. They have the same specs, same feel, same size, same view. Although neither Zen Ray or Vortex would probably tell you, I would be shocked if they didn't come from the same OEM manufacturer in China. They have minor differences in armor, eye cups, etc., but for practical purposes they are equivalents. The ED3 is the next version of the same design with some changes in tripod socket, dialectric coating, and focus knob speed. I haven't heard a bad word about either Zen Ray or Vortex in regards to customer service. Both have lifetime, fully transferrable warranties with no registration or warranty card required.

2. The Vipers (Both HD and non-HD) perform at a very high level. Their image is similar to the ED2/Talons, but the Vipers have a bit less field of view and show a little more Chromatic Aberration at the edge. However, the Vipers do have a little sharper edge performance, as you might expect with a smaller field of view. the Viper is a little shorter, but the weights are about the same.

The views are similar enough that the decision could be made based on whether you like an open bridge or piano hinge design better.

Hope that helps.