Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Districts 320 and 330

I've hunted 380 in the past with my grandfather and never really had much luck there. So I did some research and decided that this year I would try areas 320 and 330. I was wondering if anyone hunted these two areas? If so, what was their experience as far as elk and deer numbers, hunting pressure and possible wolf populations? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ??Anybody??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, it is hard to get inside info on a public forum.

It has been several years since I have been in the Tobacco Roots, but they always had solid, middle of the road type elk hunting when I was there. The Gravellys have plenty of elk to hunt, but also plenty of hunters.

Mule deer density is low with modest trophy potential.

Wolves = yes.

A gentleman from my area was mauled seriously by a grizzly bear while hunting south of 330 this spring, so there is one other thing to think about.

Overall, I think if elk hunting in 380 was a disappointment to you, you will not be too happy with 320 and 330 (or any other district in MT), since 380 is one of the hardest to draw and best premium trophy elk tags in the whole country.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    well sweet, I accidentally found out somewhere to look into for some Montana elk hunting someday. Any idea how many years of putting in it might take to have a shot at 380? Thanks Bitteroot Bulls. Things are looking better for me to get more time off in the next couple of years to try some out of state stuff.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info bitterroot. When I hunted 380 we didn't have the special permits so it was spikes only. Seen plenty of elk. Just nothing I could take. Just thought I'd try someplace different. Although I'd really like to get a decent bull, I don't have any problem taking a cow.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    well sweet, I accidentally found out somewhere to look into for some Montana elk hunting someday. Any idea how many years of putting in it might take to have a shot at 380? Thanks Bitteroot Bulls. Things are looking better for me to get more time off in the next couple of years to try some out of state stuff.

You should have a tag in 25-30 years no problem! HAHA! Actually I dont know how hard 380 is to draw but most LE tags in MT are difficult at best for a NR to draw. For the price and the wait and all that If I were you I would get to know some units west of you in the Big Horns!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks MM. I haven't been able to draw the limited quota areas in the Big Horns for quite a while. I thought I might be due this year, but that is why I don't gamble. I guess I will just keep trying. I have narrowed down a couple spots in a general area to try this year, but I have to get in better shape still and archery isn't very far away. They are like seven miles hike uphill, which is a big pack out for me if I get lucky. At least I will have a good excuse if I have to beg off work for an extra day or two.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Sounds like you need to find a good friend with horses or mules! LOL! I hope to hunt somewhere in the bighorns in a year or 2.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    Any idea how many years of putting in it might take to have a shot at 380?
    Odds are similar to drawing a Missouri Breaks ram tag.

So ... not good.