Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts

Need Help!!!

I put my niece in for Region H and I'm starting to think I shoulda went with K. She is 17 and is kind of a wimp. I was planning on using FS roads to access lower country in the Horse Creek Area of unit 142 (Region H) now I'm wondering if I should switch before the deadline to Region K and hunt Cedar Mtn over by Flaming Gorge or Bridger Hill-Elk Mountain-Sillem Ridge south of Sage Creek. Any one got some insight on what I should do? If it was my own tag I'd stick it out in H but she doesn't do well with long strenuous hikes.

Thanks for any and all help gentlemen!!
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    From what I understand I don't think H is for wimps! It sounds like you have already made that decision and just want to hear a few people to agree with it. I'm one!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks TG06, I wished I could say I've already made my mind up, but I'm torn between the two! K to me does not have the trophy potential of H period. H is one of the steepest areas in the lower 48 no doubt, but there is areas lower in the unit that are not that bad. Everyone drives by the lower stuff, but are still worse than anything in K. I have a buddy that works in the BLM office in Kemmerer and his allotment is most of that area of K, he keeps telling me no.

I was just hoping to get some persuasion from you guys on here that have spent time in these areas.

Thanks brothers!!
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    Thanks TG06, I wished I could say I've already made my mind up, but I'm torn between the two! K to me does not have the trophy potential of H period. H is one of the steepest areas in the lower 48 no doubt, but there is areas lower in the unit that are not that bad. Everyone drives by the lower stuff, but are still worse than anything in K. I have a buddy that works in the BLM office in Kemmerer and his allotment is most of that area of K, he keeps telling me no.

I was just hoping to get some persuasion from you guys on here that have spent time in these areas.

Thanks brothers!!
    As a 17 year old is she really interested in "trophy potential" or just a fun hunt for a nice buck? I usually just try to get my kids on hunts with lots of action and in areas that won't burn out their interest.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    From what I understand I don't think H is for wimps! It sounds like you have already made that decision and just want to hear a few people to agree with it. I'm one!
    I'll agree that it can be some tough hunting. It can get pretty steep, but there are some open areas that you could get to along the roads, but they are probably the most pressured areas. There are a lot of ATV and forest roads like you were saying so I think you could find a place in 142, lots of people do. From Piney lakes you can cover a lot of country and then some of it is even downhill. I thought that a lot of the low stuff in the valley was on big ranches. I think the ranches go right up to the forest line and then lease that for the summer. If your buddy in the BLM says no to K, I think that you could find somewhere in 142 or elsewhere in H that isn't awful to get to, but success might go down because that is where everyone goes. Sorry not much help. Maybe he knows about the BLM in the lower parts of 142, but I am one of those guys that always drove past the low areas, oops. It looks like some good access on BLM roads off of 189. The oil field has slowed down from what I hear, so that might be a really good area to look into.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH, I'm glad you brought that up, it's been weighing on my mind also.

AT, The really low stuff like you said is on ranches, 142 has a fair amount of BLM to offer a guy though. The biggest problem with K is ATV's and the amount of roads and trails and the season dates are a little harder for me to accommodate her hunt. Her Dad won't do anything to help make a decision little alone, putting the hunt together, getting her a gun sighted in and make sure it's all ready to go, hell he won't even take her shooting then he gives her crap for missing an animal when she finally does get the chance.

Much appreciation to both of you.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Since you're niece is 17, I'd probably stick with H. Most of the super rugged country there is wilderness anyway. Almost any region in that area of the state (G, H, & E) will have a ton of pressure along the roads during rifle season. You don't have to pack her in 5 miles to have an opportunity on a buck in these areas unless you're after a 180+ type animal. There's a ton of people that are successful in these areas every year that never leave a vehicle, so if you limited your hikes to 1/2-1 mile to get away from the road hunters, I bet you'd be successful and both would have fun.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When it comes to kids, especially girls (I know, I have 2 teenage girls), make it a fun hunt and don't worry about trophy potential. I live in G and because of the terrain I have been looking everywhere else but here for a deer hunt with my 15 year old daughter. Last year I took both my girls to area 128 by Dubois even though the trophy potential there is very small. It took 2 weekends for us to get one deer but we had a great time. I may do the same with my youngest daughter this year unless she draws a limited quota tag. My older girl is off to college in the fall so that may be it for awhile with her.

I hunted 132 a long time ago and wasn't impressed but I think it would be a good place to take a kid for a fun hunt.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks a bunch guys. I think we've maybe got a game plan!
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Woodtick

If it were me I'd just do my best to give a good hunt where she will stay interested.

She has a lot of time to trophy hunt if she catches the fever
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OregonJim For This Useful Post: