Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Input

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 3 Posts
    Hankook Dynapros ATMs are an excellent tires for on an off road with great where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I still have a few thousand left on these tires so It Gives me some time to look into the new tires. I appreciate all the Info. Mark
    Just wondering if you have pulled the trigger yet?

I was just about to pull the trigger @ $1350 out the door for G.Y. Duratracs and I went back and read Fink's post on the Michelen LTX.
    Costco has a decent rebate on four and they are cheaper to begin with.

Got about a month before I have to decide.
    I have 90K right now on the Duratracs with consistent rotations…… hard to get off them
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    I've ran firestone transforce, 10 plys on my crew cab duramax, 50,000+ with frequent rotations. The last set I put on before I got my new Denali 2500 Duramax was asset of Coopers. I always carry tire chains (4) for all wheels. A heavy rig like yours or a duramax sink!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I have had amazing luck buying factory 2nd tires to save real money. I have bought my last two sets (coopers) at about 60% of full price. Usually mounted and balanced for about $400 for big tires. My first set I got 65,000 miles and the 2nd set was in great shape when I sold my last pickup. They had 50k miles on them. The factory 2nds are not defective- they usually have a very small blemish somewhere. Most of the time you can't even find it! As long as that is an option, I will never buy full priced tires again...
    +1 on the Coopers, they're a good tire and they wear well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Speaking of tires.......

Let me ask about trailer tires. I finally blew out a tire (via separation issue) on my new travel trailer. They are ST 225/75R15 D rating, made in China crappola. I have 12,000+ miles on them. They were balanced when new and rotated every 5K miles. I am looking for some E rated tires and the choice is pretty slim. Maxxis, Carlisle, Hercules, Tow Master and trailer King are about all I can find in the E rated tire. I know I could change to 16" rims and have more availability on better tire, but my trailer has really nice Al rims and I really don't want to change. Oh, I have also weighed the trailed (loaded) and it comes in at about 8,000#, well within the limits on tires and axles.

Anyone have experience with these brands or suggestions?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Speaking of tires.......

Let me ask about trailer tires. I finally blew out a tire (via separation issue) on my new travel trailer. They are ST 225/75R15 D rating, made in China crappola. I have 12,000+ miles on them. They were balanced when new and rotated every 5K miles. I am looking for some E rated tires and the choice is pretty slim. Maxxis, Carlisle, Hercules, Tow Master and trailer King are about all I can find in the E rated tire. I know I could change to 16" rims and have more availability on better tire, but my trailer has really nice Al rims and I really don't want to change. Oh, I have also weighed the trailed (loaded) and it comes in at about 8,000#, well within the limits on tires and axles.

Maxxis are supposed to be good tires. I have never owned a set for the road, but we all ran them on our ATVs at one time or another, and they were hard to beat for durability.

Hercules is a popular tire in these parts. I am pretty sure they are made by a major tire brand as a cheaper alternative. I want to say Cooper but I'm not certain. I'm surprised you don't have more options available than what you listed. Carlisle tires are also popular here. The local tire shop carries all Cooper branded stuff. He has Carlisle, Hercs, and Master craft. So I'd venture to say that all three of those brands are made by Cooper. I know Master Craft is and I had a set of 285s on my 2500HD Silverado. They held up exceptionally well, but not as good as the BFGs I ran afterwards.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Speaking of tires.......

I had the same experience with trailer only tires. They werent that old either but the sun ate them up. In my experience trailer only tires are not very good tires. They will take alot of weight but they dont go alot of miles or years. I would look for some good light truck tires. They are built alot better since they are made to be front truck tires where a blowout could be alot more dangerous. It might be hard to find a D or E rated tire for a 15'' wheel though. Look at the actual pounds the tires are rated for. It will vary alot in the load rating (C,D,E,ect are not a set number of pounds). A good quality 235/75/15 in load range C might have nearly the same weight rating as the tires you have now and is pretty common and available tire.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 7 Posts
    Wrangler duratrak are super awesome best tire I have ever used

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Retterath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I have had amazing luck buying factory 2nd tires to save real money. I have bought my last two sets (coopers) at about 60% of full price. Usually mounted and balanced for about $400 for big tires. My first set I got 65,000 miles and the 2nd set was in great shape when I sold my last pickup. They had 50k miles on them. The factory 2nds are not defective- they usually have a very small blemish somewhere. Most of the time you can't even find it! As long as that is an option, I will never buy full priced tires again...
    I'm running Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my Expedition and they work really well.

Hilltop, Where do you find "factory 2nds"?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with MM on trailer tires. The dry rot from not getting used all winter and the sun are hard on my boat tires. I didn't have any trouble with the travel travel tires I had, but I pulled it like once every six months when I went to a new project, so I had no where near 12,000 miles. Trailer tires do seem to have a lot more problems than truck tires. The first hot day when people are just getting their boats out it seems like they are always blowing tires. I am not sure what would be a good trailer tire, sorry.