Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Input

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts

Tire Input

Hey everyone. It is time to get some new tires for my hunting truck which is a 2001 7.3 Excursion. The tire on it now are the tires that were on it when I bought it. They are Michelin LTX/MS 285/75 R16. They have been good tires but more of a Highway tire. I am looking for a tire that would be good on the highway and for off road use. I was looking at the Michelin LTX A/T 2 or the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO. Any input would be great.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    The BFG are a great off road tire. I run Toyo Open Country m/t on my truck.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The BFG A/T will be my next tire. I've had them in the past and never had any issues and they have lasted longer than any other tire I've used. I've never worn a set out, I always sell the rig before I do for some reason.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Timberstalker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    The BFG are a great off road tire. I run Toyo Open Country m/t on my truck.
    +1 Toyos are the best that I have found for off-road. The sidewalks are awesome. And the tread actually stays intact. But they do have some wind in the highway.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hardstalk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 2 Posts
    I've run the BFGs and Nitto TerraGrapplers on my trucks. I liked the Nittos, but they didn't perform as well in sticky mud and snow so those went out the window, but they have great grab on dry/loose soil and rocks. I like the BFGs a lot. I put them on my personal truck, then put them on my work truck, and as soon as I burn through the stock tires on my new work truck I'll put BFGs on again. Another option is the General Grabbers. I have heard good things about those and they are very similar to the BFGs from a looks perspective. They are also studdable if I remember correctly. Dad has them on his work truck and likes them.

By the way, when I say work truck, I mean our company farm trucks. We take them hunting, but for the most parts they are just running gravel and dirt roads and mud when it rains. Nothing too extreme, but they have all performed pretty well in the South Dakota and Kansas winters.

As a little bit later edit: We are running 2500 chevy duramax crew cabs that we haul with and usually have some good weight in the back. The heavier trucks (like yours) definitely eat the BFG tread up (and any other tread) faster on the back end when hauling, but on my 1/2 ton personal truck I had 30k on them and didn't really notice much tread wear
    Last edited by tdcour; 05-28-2014 at 09:19 AM.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've had good luck with the nittos on 1/2 tons. When I put them on my diesels they were cup central. Same experience I had with bfg. Some tires seem to hold up better on 1/2 tons then on diesels. It may have been my shocks making them cup..
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    I have had amazing luck buying factory 2nd tires to save real money. I have bought my last two sets (coopers) at about 60% of full price. Usually mounted and balanced for about $400 for big tires. My first set I got 65,000 miles and the 2nd set was in great shape when I sold my last pickup. They had 50k miles on them. The factory 2nds are not defective- they usually have a very small blemish somewhere. Most of the time you can't even find it! As long as that is an option, I will never buy full priced tires again...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    I have had amazing luck buying factory 2nd tires to save real money. I have bought my last two sets (coopers) at about 60% of full price. Usually mounted and balanced for about $400 for big tires. My first set I got 65,000 miles and the 2nd set was in great shape when I sold my last pickup. They had 50k miles on them. The factory 2nds are not defective- they usually have a very small blemish somewhere. Most of the time you can't even find it! As long as that is an option, I will never buy full priced tires again...
    How do you go about getting these? Can you just walk in to Les Schwab and ask for em? Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NVBird'n'Big View Post
    How do you go about getting these? Can you just walk in to Les Schwab and ask for em? Thanks!
    I call different tire stores until I find them. Sometimes it takes a week or two... Some tire stores will get them while others won't. Usually the small stores can get them in. It is something they can request from distributors.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 3 Posts
    One of my concerns was mentioned the Expedition is very heavy and I am concerned with fast wear on the tires. I have had BFG ATs and Rugged terrains on my small truck and the rugged terrains have been holding up a bit better than the ATs. I am concerned about BFGs and wear on the Expedition.