Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

30-06 bullet for antelope

The plan is to shoot a few antelope in Wyoming this year. My 270 will be my primary rifle, shooting 140 grain Bergers. I hadn't considered it until recently, but I've got a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06 that I've not hunted with much, I've only killed a bear with it in the 10 years or so that I've had it.

So anyway I think I'd like to bring it along and shoot an antelope with it. Just need to work up a good, accurate load. I'm thinking I will try some 180 grain Sierra Gamekings. I might load up 15 or 20 rounds tonight with some H4350, and test them out this weekend.

What do you guys think? I can't think of a better antelope bullet in the 30-06. But I'm all ears if you think something else might work better.
    Last edited by bdan68; 05-28-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 8 Posts
    Stay with controlled expansion bullets or you will have a mess. I have taken numerous antelope with different loads in the 30-06. You obviously don't need a premium bullet but I have found that rapid expansion bullets ruin much more meat. My favorite all around load is the 165 grain Hornady Interbond. The 165, IMO, has the best ballistics of all the bullet choices. I use it from antelope to moose.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My thought was the high ballistic coefficient of the 180 grain Sierra would work well in the wind. I could be convinced to go with 165's though. Less recoil is always a good thing. Maybe a 165 grain Accubond? The thing is I already have the Sierra's. Do I really need to buy another box of bullets? I wouldn't think meat loss would be much of a factor with a shot behind the shoulder.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 67 Times in 8 Posts
    I don't have much experience with the sierras so I won't comment on them. Nothing wrong with a 180 as long as they aren't rapid expansion. Many of my early antelope were shot with a 180 grain Remington core lock. Those bullets worked great. I just mention the 165 because I have just love them. I reality though there is little difference between them- just a touch flatter but yet still hits very hard out to my personal limit of 500 yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I would use 150 grainers, Sierra Game Kings boattail is what I use. Great bullet, I push it along right at 3000fps. Great ballistics at this speed. I see no reason to use anything any larger.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I would use 150 grainers, Sierra Game Kings boattail is what I use. Great bullet, I push it along right at 3000fps. Great ballistics at this speed. I see no reason to use anything any larger.
    I'm really starting to like this ole boy!! These are all I used when I use to hunt with a 30.06, great bullet and extremely accurate!!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll see if I can get a hold of some of those 150 grain Sierras, and see which shoot a tighter group.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 76 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    I'll see if I can get a hold of some of those 150 grain Sierras, and see which shoot a tighter group.
    I had my best luck with H4895 or Varget around 49.5-50.5grs of either
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I had my best luck with H4895 or Varget around 49.5-50.5grs of either
    I'll have to start with H4350 as that is all I have, and Varget and 4895 are nearly impossible to get right now. I see Cabelas has the 150 grain Sierra's in stock.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have used Sierras for years (too many to count) . Their factory was in Santa Fe Springs, Ca right next to Downey where I lived.This was back in the 60's way before they moved to the Midwest. Used to be able to buy 2nds by the pound and I shot a ton of them when I was young. Shot lots of deer and antelope with Sierras. I still use them in everything from my .22 Ackley Swift to my 30-06 & .300 Wby.

My pet load in my 30-06 is 53gr 4895 (surplus powder, not IMR or H versions) with a 150ge Game King BT. It smokes out of the barrel at 3150fps on my chrono, with sub moa out to 500 yds. Hard to beat it, in a surplus sporterized 03 Springfield mfg in 1927 & still has military barrel!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley