Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

What age did you get them started?

Those with children. What age did you start taking them hiking along, camping overnight, and hangin in the woods?
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    My oldest son started hunting with me when he was 4. I really thought the hunt through though so it would be enjoyable for him. You really want to cultivate that interest and not have it be a turn-off. I think I was 3 or 4 when I first wen with my dad.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree totally.My son started very young as well. But it needs to be fun. I always tried to leave with him wanting more,,never begging to go home.
    My daughter came later and just went to see what we were up to. She did harvest a deer when she was twelve.She graduated from High School last night with a 4.67 gpa and is headed off to college in a few months.
    Point being ,,spend the time with your kids now,,,do whatever they want.You can never get the time back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to digger11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I look back at the pictures my parents had of me when I was a toddler going fishing and on camping trips and know that's what fueled my desire. I tried doing the same thing with my three boys, taking them camping when they were babies and putting them on my back for hikes. The last couple years I have got to see my older two take their first big game animals and I couldn't be more proud to carry on what my dad taught me.

My philosophy is...They are never too young to get out into the woods!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I feel people usually wait to long to get there kids into the outdoors. I am the same as the other guys here and took my kids since they were babies. My parents did the same with my brother, sister, and I. There was never a time we were not hunting and fishing and I have done the same with my kids. They are 23, 22, and 20 now and are all into the outdoors.

Funny story, My daughter was born on the 3rd day of archery season here in Colorado. I had to bring her mom down off the mountain to be born and we were back up on the mountain Friday night. I took her out with me that afternoon on a elk hunt and had here within three yards of several elk including a nice bull. I never even drew back my bow, as my daughter was making soft little sonds, and the elk were just coming in to check her out. A truly amazing experience.

Quinton

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MuleyHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    All the girls came along young. The youngest started shooting a bow around 2 years old.

When the kids come though the emphasis has to be on them. Short days, and frequent breaks.

I remember tagging along with my dad at age 6. Got a NASTY case of Poison oak.

I think the enthusiasm of the people around the young kids is paramount to instilling the desire. I remember hearing guys in my grandfather's generation telling stories about hunting out of state and it fired me up to do it myself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When I was young my dad started me young. Fishing before I was 5 and shooting at about 6. No Hunter Safety back then, learned it all from Dad, who later taught Hunter Safety in California for 50 years. I followed suit with my son (who will be 49 this year), took him camping & fishing when he was a toddler. Taught him to shoot at about age 5. My Dad put him thru Hunter Safety and read the questions to him because he was too young to read very well. Got his first hunting license at 7 and went dove hunting with me & Grandpa. I bought him a H&R Topper 20 single shot shotgun. For his 12th birthday I bought him a Remington 600 in .234 topped with a Weaver K6 scope. Shot an antelope in Wyoming that year, 1977.

If you work at it and use a little common sense, you can start them pretty young. You just have to make it fun. One thing you have to remember, kids don't have a lot of stamina and will get tired easily and will lose interest easily if its not fun. Today I'd start them at 4 or 5 with a pellet gun shooting balloons. We do that with our young kids at the range and they love it, especially water balloons!
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 05-30-2014 at 01:22 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I was 3 or 4 when Dad started camping with me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

This is my son at around 2 months.

Here is my daughter age 6 out shooting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We started early. My first daughter learned to walk at a archery elk camp.