Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 3 Posts
    My parents started me and my 3 siblings off fishing and camping young. Didn't do any hunting, I just had that interest and jumped in head first.
    My son started going to the range with me and shooting a BB gun at 3, single dad so he's coming period. It's been everything since then. He hasn't gone on any backpacking archery hunts yet but was hiking around antelope hunting last year with his 22 cricket. He's 7 now and hard charging.
    He loves the outdoors and I love slowing down and enjoying it with him, he makes me notice the little things when I'm a little to focused sometimes. I couldn't imagine not having him with me

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    My daughter has been hunting with me since about 2 years old. Coyote hunting was our first trip. She loves it. And still does.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My dad started me when I could hunt at 12. The thing that drew me in so much at that point was watching my dad, uncles, and grandpa go to deer camp for a week and then hearing the amazing stories. Made me want to go and spend time in the woods and camp with my family.

With my 2 month old son I plan on starting him as early as mommy will let me hoping around 3 years old to go out with me and enjoy the woods

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to marcusvdk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    My two daughters are 3 and 5. I started taking them both along when they were 18 months or so. First I started with going for a (short) walk in the woods to check trail cameras. Then maybe taking a wheeler ride on the side by side to go check some other game cameras. Then going out and helping me feed the animals. We keep a feeder going on the backside of our property for viewing purposes. Then they came along on the wheeler when I killed a deer. Last summer I took them both camping and last fall my oldest went to the deer stand a couple times with me. Short trips with her dictating the time more then me. I even took both of them out last fall to sit in a ground blind for a while. I thought more to see what would come out on the other side of the field but we did have a nice big doe come by at 25 yds that I was able to kill with my bow with both girls by my side. My almost 3 yr old (at the time) impressed me with her blood trailing skills. I could see the doe lying in the tall grass 40 yds away but they couldn't but she loved trailing the blood.

I guess my point is can you start to early? I don't think so but it depends on how long you go out. Sitting in a deer stand is a short time period but my kids will go on several hour day hikes with no problem. Keep it short and keep it fun when there with it's definitely about them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I didn't start hunting until my 50s but I am telling my sons-in-law who hunt to tailor the experience to the kids' maturity levels, so the kids can enjoy the experience. It's about fostering a love for the outdoors and when you take them that's what it's about, not you getting your buck.

Especially try to have times where you take one child when you go out. Being alone with daddy is a great thing in itself and a lot of time doing that will more than anything help your kids to pick up your values.

You can't take a 4-year-old to sit in a deer stand and try to make him sit completely still and quiet so you can shoot a deer. For most kids, especially boys, you'll ruin them for hunting. Wait until they're older for that.

But, take the young ones walking and looking for sign or sheds.
    Look at deer that come out in the evening on the field edges.
    Set the alarm and go for an early morning walk or drive to spot deer.
    Sit together in a ground blind where they can whisper, squirm and wiggle some.
    Take them for slow walks, looking for deer in prime time.
    Have them take pictures with a camera that has a good zoom and print them out or blow one or two up.
    Have someone take pictures of the two or more of you together. It may mean a lot down the road.
    Take one or the other on a weekend hunting trip with buddies of yours who will see it as a good thing. Being the only kid in that group of men will mean a great deal to them.
    You get the idea.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoshour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I took mine out several times with me when she was in that 2-3 year old range, now every time we go to the park here and walk the trail she tells me and mom to be quit cause were hunting deer!

Here she is at 2.5 yrs with Mom on a loper hunt in MT

And deer hunting with me at 3.5 yrs
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm just getting my son (now 4) out fishing - caught his first fish in New Zealand a couple months ago. He doesn't know the difference... But I get a kick out of telling my friends where he caught his first fish

Would be interested in some opinions taking this thread in a different direction...

Anyone have thoughts on not cashing in points until your kid (s) are able to really hunt? I started collecting points 15 years ago and am now holding out drawing until my son is old enough to come with me. Several in my family think I'm nuts. Would anyone else hold cashing in for the sole purpose of waiting until your kids can go with you?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by PointsHunter View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on not cashing in points until your kid (s) are able to really hunt? I started collecting points 15 years ago and am now holding out drawing until my son is old enough to come with me. Several in my family think I'm nuts. Would anyone else hold cashing in for the sole purpose of waiting until your kids can go with you?
    Not nuts at all. Im holding onto my moose points so my daughters can come with me. I am a resident so it is a lot cheaper than a nonresident holding out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started taking my son when he decided he wanted to go along. He started fishing when he was 3. I made to sure to go to recently stocked ponds and for a long time I didn't bring in one fish. My son brought in every fish we caught and so to speak he was hooked. I would go on hikes and he always wanted to go. When he was 4 I started bringing him along because he really wanted to go. I go on these hikes with no expectations. He brings his own backpack with food and water. We take lots of breaks whenever he wants. He collects lots of rocks and his latest self chosen task is to find a good walking stick. He likes to check out every possible bug on the trail. He loves to look at animal bones we find on the forest floor. We always make games such as who can find the squirrel, birds, etc. My favorite is who can find the Elk rub first. He is 5 1/2 now. First we go to the range, review the gun parts, review gun safety, and then he sends 20-25 shots down range with his single shot Savage Little Rascal. Great training gun, single shot, bolt action, Accutrigger, peep sites, drilled and tapped for a scope which will be the next step for him. His favorite range activity is hitting clay pigeons. After the range, we hit the trail with our backpacks and his single shot 22 LR and hunt squirrel. He gets to carry the gun which makes him smile from ear to ear. Unloaded of course. He already has his hunting voice down. All the while, I tell him when he's ready to leave we'll head back to the truck. However, his little legs last longer and longer with every trip. Great bonding with my son. We add a little outdoor lesson here and there. As soon as I see he's done with the outdoor trip or if he calls Uncle, we're done, and I never push him to keep going.
    Last edited by Mule3006Elk; 06-04-2014 at 10:08 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mule3006Elk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Started taking my daughter fishing and hunting when she was about 2 years old. It's really cool now because she always asks me if we can go instead of me asking her so much.