Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

M70 Action vs. Remington 700 action (Anyone know the weight difference?).

I'm building a custom 30-06 AI. Bartlein barrel, #4, SS, fluted, which will weigh 2.86 lbs. HS Precision stock, #09, slight LOP adjustment, should weight ~ 2.1 lbs. Can anyone shed some light on how much weight the action, trigger guard, action screws, etc will add to the build. I'm looking at a M70 action or the Remington 700 action (can't decide). I like the controlled feed and safety on the M70 but it's clear the Remington 700 action has a lot of fans. After extensive research, I really can't find any good information on the weight of each action from the manufacturer or from those who are selling the actions. I don't have the cash to buy a 1K custom action and I don't think I need one since I'm not using this for long range competition or bench rest competition. It's strictly a hunting rifle. I would be satisfied with a 0.5-0.75" group and extremely pleased with a 0.25-0.5" group at 100 yards. Ideal weight would be between 8-8.5 lbs fully dressed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    IMO the Model 70 controlled round feed action is the finest action even made! Its very reliable and very safe and the safety that locks the hammer is much more reliable. I had a 700 go off on me once and I been kinda gun shy of them ever since.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    IMO the Model 70 controlled round feed action is the finest action even made! Its very reliable and very safe and the safety that locks the hammer is much more reliable. I had a 700 go off on me once and I been kinda gun shy of them ever since.
    Thanks for your response. I've heard of a few similar stories and I just read about the Remington Model 700 and Model 7 recall due to the X-Mark Pro trigger which could unintentionally discharge. M70 is looking more attractive. My gunsmith prefers the M70 over the Remington 700 as we'll.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    The one that went off on me was older. Im told if you use a good trigger like a timney it will fix it but I still prefer the Winchester action. But Im pretty bias too! LOL

As far as weight Im sure the Winchester is the heavier of the 2 but I dont know how much difference there is.
    Last edited by Musket Man; 06-01-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 2 Posts
    Hi Mule3006Elk,

I have 40 year-old Model 700 in .270 Win. I have never had a single problem with it: none, zip-zero-zilch, nada, goose eggs, nope, nothing, end of story! I have never had it fire when I didn't want it to fire. Most importantly, it's 100% reliable and extremely accurate. It will be my primary rifle on what is a de facto once-in-a-lifetime trophy elk hunt. Too many bonus points are required to hunt the area to expect another shot at it. I ain't about to waste an elk tag of a lifetime on anything but a 100% reliable rifle.

One of the most accurate rifles I have ever fired was my friend's stock Model 700 ADL 7MM Rem Mag. He never so much as altered its trigger. That rifle would shoot .5 MOA all day along. I often wondered what the rifle would have done had he had it bedded and tried match bullets. But that rifle was made to hunt, and that's what he did with it.

I have a CRF Model 70. It is an excellent rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

We all have preferences. My favorite action is a Sako AV. I have a Sako Classic in 7MM Rem Mag. It's every bit as accurate as my friend's Model 700, maybe more so. But I've had my Sako bedded and it's trigger adjusted to just under 3 pounds. It has a beautiful walnut stock. The fly in the ointment of what would otherwise be a perfect rifle is that it weighs every ounce of 10 pounds. I've carried that rifle up and down the Star Valley enough times to know that my Model 700 .270 Win makes a lot more sense when Rocky Mountain climbing.

Slightly off topic: when I was oh so much smarter than I am now I had it figured that I needed an armory to hunt North America. Were I accorded a do-over, I'd buy a Sako in .280 Rem and never look back and never need another rifle. In my estimation, my Model 700 in .270 Win ain't a half-bad contender for my idea of a perfect rifle for North America big game hunting. But I do love .284 caliber projectiles. They have a legacy of going a long way and penetrating deeper than an Einstein thought. How many elephants did that fella in Africa kill with a 7x57?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

BTW, I wouldn't hesitate building a custom rifle using a Model 700 action.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SansSouci For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule3006Elk View Post
    I'm building a custom 30-06 AI. Bartlein barrel, #4, SS, fluted, which will weigh 2.86 lbs. HS Precision stock, #09, slight LOP adjustment, should weight ~ 2.1 lbs. Can anyone shed some light on how much weight the action, trigger guard, action screws, etc will add to the build. I'm looking at a M70 action or the Remington 700 action (can't decide). I like the controlled feed and safety on the M70 but it's clear the Remington 700 action has a lot of fans. After extensive research, I really can't find any good information on the weight of each action from the manufacturer or from those who are selling the actions. I don't have the cash to buy a 1K custom action and I don't think I need one since I'm not using this for long range competition or bench rest competition. It's strictly a hunting rifle. I would be satisfied with a 0.5-0.75" group and extremely pleased with a 0.25-0.5" group at 100 yards. Ideal weight would be between 8-8.5 lbs fully dressed.
    I hope you have a GREAT (I said great, not good!) smith picked out. No matter what action, barrel, stock, etc you pick, its the gunsmith that will make it all come together. The best components in the world cannot overcome a less than topnotch smithing job!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    Hi Mule3006Elk,

I have 40 year-old Model 700 in .270 Win. I have never had a single problem with it: none, zip-zero-zilch, nada, goose eggs, nope, nothing, end of story! I have never had it fire when I didn't want it to fire. Most importantly, it's 100% reliable and extremely accurate. It will be my primary rifle on what is a de facto once-in-a-lifetime trophy elk hunt. Too many bonus points are required to hunt the area to expect another shot at it. I ain't about to waste an elk tag of a lifetime on anything but a 100% reliable rifle.

One of the most accurate rifles I have ever fired was my friend's stock Model 700 ADL 7MM Rem Mag. He never so much as altered its trigger. That rifle would shoot .5 MOA all day along. I often wondered what the rifle would have done had he had it bedded and tried match bullets. But that rifle was made to hunt, and that's what he did with it.

I have a CRF Model 70. It is an excellent rifle. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

We all have preferences. My favorite action is a Sako AV. I have a Sako Classic in 7MM Rem Mag. It's every bit as accurate as my friend's Model 700, maybe more so. But I've had my Sako bedded and it's trigger adjusted to just under 3 pounds. It has a beautiful walnut stock. The fly in the ointment of what would otherwise be a perfect rifle is that it weighs every ounce of 10 pounds. I've carried that rifle up and down the Star Valley enough times to know that my Model 700 .270 Win makes a lot more sense when Rocky Mountain climbing.

Slightly off topic: when I was oh so much smarter than I am now I had it figured that I needed an armory to hunt North America. Were I accorded a do-over, I'd buy a Sako in .280 Rem and never look back and never need another rifle. In my estimation, my Model 700 in .270 Win ain't a half-bad contender for my idea of a perfect rifle for North America big game hunting. But I do love .284 caliber projectiles. They have a legacy of going a long way and penetrating deeper than an Einstein thought. How many elephants did that fella in Africa kill with a 7x57?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

BTW, I wouldn't hesitate building a custom rifle using a Model 700 action.
    I agree the 280 or 280 AI is a great round. In fact, I strongly considered a 280 AI for my build. When I did the ballistics for my bullet of choice, Barnes TTSX, 168 grain (TTSX for the 30-06 and the LRX for the 280 AI), I realized they are ballistic twins out to 400 yards (max I'll shoot at big game assuming conditions are IDEAL) even with the 280 AI having the BC advantage with the LRX, +/- 1% in velocity/ft-lbs/drop/wind drift. Therefore, I decided to stay with the 30 cal due to a little bigger hole and the ability to push heavier bullets if I choose to do so. I only have one rifle (given to me by my father) currently which will be handed down to my son. So I need a rifle for myself. I hunt ELK/Mule Deer specifically.

My father is going to give me his 30-06 Winchester M70 30-06, purchased ~ 1986, although I'm in NO hurry to inherit it. The rifle is literally brand new with ~ 50 rounds down the tube and VERY clean.

Per my research, it's much easier to find a Remington 700 action vs. a M70 action and the cost favors the Remington 700 action. I guess I could always switch the trigger.
    Last edited by Mule3006Elk; 06-01-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I got my M70 gone as fast as possible because of the noise of the safety.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I DID have a 700 go off. The gun was dirty but still not excuse enough. I have one of the new Timmey triggers on the way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to xtreme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I hope you have a GREAT (I said great, not good!) smith picked out. No matter what action, barrel, stock, etc you pick, its the gunsmith that will make it all come together. The best components in the world cannot overcome a less than topnotch smithing job!
    I agree. I believe I have a good Smith, he takes his time, he's not pushy, and I've personally seen his work. He took my 30-06 Savage 110E (manufactured ~1982) which was shooting 4-6" (literally) groups from the bench at 100 yards with 5 different types of factory ammo, worked on the crown (1st), worked on the action and trigger (2nd), worked on the bedding (3rd), and now the gun consistently shoots 0.8-0.9 MOA at 100 yards with my reloads. Not a tack driver but a significant improvement and more than adequate for hunting. We did the step approach because I didn't want to drop a ton of money into a gun that had no potential to shoot. I really liked how he took his time and ruled out one thing at a time. I'm sure he would have done everything at once, per my request, but he understood where I was coming from. Why did I work on this rifle? Well, my father gave me the rifle as my first hunting gun, he took 3 Mule deer with this rifle, and that means something to me. My son will get this rifle when he's ready to hunt and I can't wait to tell him a few stories about where the scratches came from