Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    coca colas and sugar donuts
    What are those? lol
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With a short workout, what are your main goals? Keeping heart rate up, numbers of reps, basically just getting out there and doing something? I played baseball all my life and our goals were to always gain strength and body weight, then run off the excess weight. We worked out pretty much for two hours everyday ay, so I'm having trouble moving to a different style of working out. I appreciate the suggestions everyone!
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think something like running would help the most. Strength is good but the biggest problem you will have hunting will be running out of breath, especially with higher altitudes. Do something that works your lungs and hart.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I think something like running would help the most. Strength is good but the biggest problem you will have hunting will be running out of breath, especially with higher altitudes. Do something that works your lungs and hart.
    I thought the same til I started having problems with plantar fascia and my IT bands getting tight, those I'm still fighting with, the IT band issue has been plaguing me for a while now. I'd suggest core strength over anything.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    10 squats, 10 burpees, 10 situps, sprint 200 meters. Get through 10 full times as quick as you can

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    MM is right, the lungs and heart will get better conditioning with basic jogging and you will be able to do a 5 minute warm up, 20 minute jog, and a 5 minute cool down. Don't try to push forward too fast. Your legs will feel it in the first week or two and they will build up the strength needed for heading into the field. After you have been doing this for a while I would try to add in some push-ups, sit-ups and some back exercises. These can be done at the other end of the day. If you relax before bed I've found it can be easy to do sets while I get ready for bed.

If you live close to a high school after your body is feeling comfortable jogging you can try running bleachers for the 20 minutes to help build the leg strength.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm in a similar situation. Finding an hour plus to workout each day or even a couple days a week is tough. Would it be nice to lift for an hour and run for an hour...yes, but I've got to keep things prioritized. I just finished all 10 weeks of T25 and I am happy with the results. As advertised they are exactly 25 minutes and you get a decent amount of cardio, body weight resistance workouts, and some weight resistance workouts. For 25 minutes it is a good workout. I lost 22 lbs (192 - 170) by doing this and eating better. No doughnuts or bags of chips for me.

Not that I was in horrible shape to begin with but, I can definetley see the difference and some muscle definition I haven't seen in places now visible again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used to be a gym rat, 2+ hours every other day with tons of supplements, different muscle groups etc.,etc...180lbs was the biggest I could ever get, started at 145lbs. Stopped working out like that 10 years ago. This last winter I hit 180 again but it ain't muscle this time, I run every other day now and do basic push-ups, crunches and burpees on off days. I have a pretty busy schedule and can't drive the 30-40 minutes to a gym and spend an hour doing what I can in less than 20 minutes at home. My main goal is to be able to do 3-5 miles hiking/hunting for the duration. It would be nice to be ripped again and WOW the ladies (dreaming) but....... Damn getting old sucks!
    For a reference, I've averaged 165-170 the last 10yrs. I ain't no slouch so I blame it solely on AGE!!!!
    Last edited by JasonGNV; 06-02-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I feel you on the age thing!! I will be 53 in August and the past few years I have felt the best I have felt in years before 50. I am like you I try to stay in shape knowing I will never be built like I was in my younger days. I try to do some type of exercise everyday. It might be the gym three days a week and running in the mornings before work. My favorite is just putting on a full pack and hiking with my nephew. I have been doing this for the past few years. If I miss a day I don't sweat it and during hunting season I miss a bunch of days because I am always hunting. After all hunting is what we do it for!!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonGNV View Post
    I used to be a gym rat, 2+ hours every other day with tons of supplements, different muscle groups etc.,etc...180lbs was the biggest I could ever get, started at 145lbs. Stopped working out like that 10 years ago. This last winter I hit 180 again but it ain't muscle this time, I run every other day now and do basic push-ups, crunches and burpees on off days. I have a pretty busy schedule and can't drive the 30-40 minutes to a gym and spend an hour doing what I can in less than 20 minutes at home. My main goal is to be able to do 3-5 miles hiking/hunting for the duration. It would be nice to be ripped again and WOW the ladies (dreaming) but....... Damn getting old sucks!
    For a reference, I've averaged 165-170 the last 10yrs. I ain't no slouch so I blame it solely on AGE!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I agree with IT.. Push ups, pull ups and sit ups will go a long ways. I usually do those every day, and will do squats with my pack loaded down with about 75 pounds. Some days I'll run a few miles on the treadmill, some days I'll put it on the steepest incline it has to offer, and walk for a while with my pack on.
    In the next few weeks, I'll load my pack down, and hike around on the steepest stuff Eastern Missouri has to offer (about a 150' elevation change).

You don't have to be a world class athlete to hunt the mountains.
    I'm going to agree with Fink on this, if you don't have time and you're finding that you are working from a sitting position for most of the day the best thing you can do is stretch and some sort of sustained cardio. I work in an office and it requires a lot of sitting, which is terrible for the lower back and leg muscles. If you google how the special forces guys train it is all combinations of calisthenics at different length intervals. If you can do a combination of push ups, pull ups, squats, burpee's, and crunches for an hour you will be in the best shape of your life, but it depends on the intensity of your workout and number of repetitions. Most important thing to remember is you've got to stretch. Before working out or hiking do a light stretch, in the middle of your activity increase the length and intensity of your stretch just slightly, and at the end double the time of your stretch (but keep it light and don't bounce around) and focus on breathing and getting oxygen to the muscles.

If you can follow this routine, an hour a day will be all you need for basic cardio traning. If you can find time to for a long distance hike (even with an incline on a treadmill) and log close to 10+ miles a week you should be good to go.