Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts

Testing a variety of bullets

I know I'm a bit early on this but I want to start working up loads and practicing with my rifle a lot so I can be as accurate as possible on my sheep hunt this fall. My funds are limited so I cant go buy 5 different 50 packs of bullets to go and test out along with powders and such. Anyway does anyone know of a place where you can buy say a sampler kit with a variety of bullets to test out of my gun?
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.bulletproofsamples.com/

This is the one I know of.

newguy220

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    I know I'm a bit early on this but I want to start working up loads and practicing with my rifle a lot so I can be as accurate as possible on my sheep hunt this fall. My funds are limited so I cant go buy 5 different 50 packs of bullets to go and test out along with powders and such. Anyway does anyone know of a place where you can buy say a sampler kit with a variety of bullets to test out of my gun?
    If I knew a little more about what you are shooting (and what has worked in the past), might be able to help some. Caliber, rifle, etc?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    If I knew a little more about what you are shooting (and what has worked in the past), might be able to help some. Caliber, rifle, etc?
    It's a Savage Model 111 in .300 Win Mag. I haven't reloaded much in the past so I haven't really found a load that was really outstanding.
    TT Xtreme FC Pro

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nvarcher View Post
    It's a Savage Model 111 in .300 Win Mag. I haven't reloaded much in the past so I haven't really found a load that was really outstanding.
    So I am assuming you have a reloading setup? Do you have a manual, if so which one? Where are you sheep hunting? I can probably recommend where to start if I know a little about what you are going to do.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So I am assuming you have a reloading setup? Do you have a manual, if so which one? Where are you sheep hunting? I can probably recommend where to start if I know a little about what you are going to do.
    I have a reloading set up. Pretty basic but it works. I have the Hornady reloading book. I am sheep hunting in Southern Nevada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TT Xtreme FC Pro

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably use a 150 gr or 165 gr bullet. Good ballistics and plenty heavy enough. I really don't think bullets are going to be the challenge, I think it will be powder. I'll look at some of my stuff and get back with something to start with.

What bullets and powder do you have on hand?
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably use a 150 gr or 165 gr bullet. Good ballistics and plenty heavy enough. I really don't think bullets are going to be the challenge, I think it will be powder. I'll look at some of my stuff and get back with something to start with.

What bullets and powder do you have on hand?
    All I have right now are 150 SST 180SST and a bunch of 150 hornady soft points. I have 2 pounds of IMR 7828. Probably a 1/2 pound of IMR 4350 and a bit of IMR 4064(I know thats too fast burning for the .300 win mag) I'm having trouble finding powders. Ive been searching for some H4350.
    TT Xtreme FC Pro

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I thought nvarcher would be testing arrows but then I remembered Musket Man will be testing his 270 too! lol
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    I'm not a fan of the SSTs and a lot of others aren't either due to violent expansion many times before proper penetration takes place. However, if you have a bunch of 150 Hornady SPs I'd work up a load with them. That's all I use in the 3 calibers I reload for and they have all proven themselves to be outstanding game takers. I go with the 100s in my .243, the 117s in my 25-06, and 150s in my 3 30-06s. I think you'll find they will do the job in your rifle after some tweeking with powders. I use IMR 4350 for the 25 and 30 calibers and IMR 4064 in the .243 and all give under MOA.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.