Page 17 of 84 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    lol, thats ok. He's a little young for Keystone anxiety medication, but I could use some. Maybe some Keystone sleeping syrup tonight.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Againstthewind View Post
    Any suggestions on how to calm the nerves?
    Don't let yourself get too excited first off.

The next thing is to explain everything that's happening, or walk them through the process and emotions. With someone taking them through everything while in the moment, they will be listening if you have to call it off when the excitement is high.

Right before the shot, it's good to have them dry fire a couple times. Naturally, they'll be super excited and flinch like a SOB if it's the first shot on the first kill of their life.

Every kid that I've taken out has had different levels of rifle experience and shown different levels of excitement, but when walking them through everything they've performed admirably.

It also never hurts to get snuck up on the animal as well for the wow factor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Always use whiskey in the field. Keystone is to heavy and not good warm. lol
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Always use whiskey in the field. Keystone is to heavy and not good warm. lol
    That is good advise.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by libidilatimmy View Post
    Don't let yourself get too excited first off.

The next thing is to explain everything that's happening, or walk them through the process and emotions. With someone taking them through everything while in the moment, they will be listening if you have to call it off when the excitement is high.

Right before the shot, it's good to have them dry fire a couple times. Naturally, they'll be super excited and flinch like a SOB if it's the first shot on the first kill of their life.

Every kid that I've taken out has had different levels of rifle experience and shown different levels of excitement, but when walking them through everything they've performed admirably.

It also never hurts to get snuck up on the animal as well for the wow factor.
    That is good advise, too. I'll have to keep that in mind. He's done some small game hunting, but this is a little different. Like MM said about still fighting nerves myself, I might have to try some of that myself. He will probably be more calm than me.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 06-04-2014 at 12:35 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think it is important to get him in position without the animal having any idea you guys are there so hes not rushed to make the shot. I find I am always the calmest after completing a good stalk and have all the time I need to setup and make a good shot. Also get him a good rest. Bipod, shooting sticks, ect. I prefer to shoot prone from a bipod whenever I can.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think we are pretty much stuck shooting prone. He's using my handme down 30-06 that is pre-light weight rifle with short barrel technology, so it is kindof big for him still. I have a bipod for it, so I think that is how we will go. I also prefer to shoot prone whenever possible. You guys are giving me a good mental picture of what we need to do. Thanks. Makes me a little less nervous and feel more prepared.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 06-04-2014 at 12:34 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Againstthewind For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 3 Posts
    I think we are pretty much stuck shooting prone. He's using my handme down 30-06 that is pre-light weight rifle with short barrel technology, so it is kindof big for him still. I have a bipod for it, so I think that is how we will go. You guys are giving me a good mental picture of what we need to do. Thanks. Makes me a little less nervous and feel more prepared.
    That's what everyone here is about. Lots of good folks that will help where they can.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to libidilatimmy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    half the pics above came from left over areas, I find archery hunting is good and oppurtunity for a 70's type buck is pretty fair but the orange army rifle season i avoid.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boehunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think we are pretty much stuck shooting prone. He's using my handme down 30-06 that is pre-light weight rifle with short barrel technology, so it is kindof big for him still. I have a bipod for it, so I think that is how we will go. I also prefer to shoot prone whenever possible. You guys are giving me a good mental picture of what we need to do. Thanks. Makes me a little less nervous and feel more prepared.
    That ''big heavy" old gun will be an advantage to him once you get him set up in a good position prone. It will kick less and be nice and solid on the bipod. Light short guns are nice to pack but when it comes to shooting I would rather have the heavier gun. Its 1 problem I have seen with youth guns. They are smaller and lighter but it also makes them kick more.