Page 80 of 84 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 836
  1. #791
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am told things are looking good this year for Wyoming antelope. Beat the odds and and drew a decent tag. Looking forward to the always fun Wyoming antelope hunt.

    Speaking of draw oddities, anyone hear where all the tags for 87 deer went? Only 9 issued which is 16 less than the final quota numbers listed.

  2. #792
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EBOLAVIRS View Post
    I am told things are looking good this year for Wyoming antelope. Beat the odds and and drew a decent tag. Looking forward to the always fun Wyoming antelope hunt.

    Speaking of draw oddities, anyone hear where all the tags for 87 deer went? Only 9 issued which is 16 less than the final quota numbers listed.
    The total tag numbers listed in the Final Regulation include those that will be taken by landowners before they even have the draws. The other 16 tags in unit 87 went to landowners before the draw was done for the remaining 9 that are showing in the resident draw. There also has to be at least 10 tags left for the draw before a NR even has the chance at 1 tag. That's why all the draws for NRs in 87 showed 0. The problem with the way Wyoming has there landowner license system set up is that if there are enough landowners in a unit that want tags and there aren't that many tags to be issued they could take them all and there wouldn't be any left to even have a resident draw . That system needs some drastic changes and 87-1 was a good example this year. Most people, including a lot of residents, don't have any idea that is how the Wyoming tag system is set up. The only good thing to be said about landowner tags in Wyoming is they aren't transferable to anyone outside the family that owns the property.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-17-2014 at 06:32 AM.

  3. #793
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Black Hills, Wy
    Posts
    176
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Congratulations
    0
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    The problem with the way Wyoming has there landowner license system set up is that if there are enough landowners in a unit that want tags and there aren't that many tags to be issued they could take them all and there wouldn't be any left to even have a resident draw . The only good thing to be said about landowner tags in Wyoming is they aren't transferable to anyone outside the family that owns the property.
    Another bad thing about Wyo landowner tags IMHO, is that they can hunt anywhere in that area. I feel that if they get a landowner tag, they should have to hunt on their land. That is why they are awarded these tags, because they have wildlife on their land and want a tag to hunt them.

  4. #794
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,077
    Thanks
    1,191
    Thanked 612 Times in 536 Posts
    Congratulations
    111
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    I can understand having some landowner tags but giving nearly 2/3 to landowners is quite a bit I'd say. They could have atleast put 1 tag up for NR's. They should atleast notify anyone apply for units where there will be no tags so they could change their app if they want to.
    Keystone 1, Over!

    " I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

  5. #795
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 176 Times in 166 Posts
    Congratulations
    24
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    They should atleast notify anyone apply for units where there will be no tags so they could change their app if they want to.


    This right here.....
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

    "Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

  6. #796
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I can understand having some landowner tags but giving nearly 2/3 to landowners is quite a bit I'd say. They could have atleast put 1 tag up for NR's. They should atleast notify anyone apply for units where there will be no tags so they could change their app if they want to.
    ***Like I said in my other post, the landowners could actually take all the tags in a unit if there were enough of them compared to the number of tags the G&F decides to allot for that given unit. I also think they should be restricted to their own property with that tag! Huntin Fool was really getting raked over the coals when guys saw the 87-1 stats for NRs because they were touting the unit as real good and probably even applied a bunch of their paying customers in their tag application system for a unit that ended up not even having any NR tags available! IMHO the G&F should require all the landowner tags to be allotted and taken off the Final Regulation numbers so it only shows what will actually be in the draws. The way it is now is very deceiving and actually deceptive if you were able to look into the stats to see how many landowners do automatically get tags before the draws for the total numbers shown in the Final Reg. At least, thank the Lord, Wyoming does not allow them to be transferred/sold to anyone else or it would be a real mess and preclude a lot of lower income people from getting a tag because if you look at other states that do allow it those tags aren't cheap!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-17-2014 at 07:30 AM.

  7. #797
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 176 Times in 166 Posts
    Congratulations
    24
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***Like I said in my other post, the landowners could actually take all the tags in a unit if there were enough of them compared to the number of tags the G&F decides to allot for that given unit. I also think they should be restricted to their own property with that tag! Huntin Fool was really getting raked over the coals when guys saw the 87-1 stats for NRs because they were touting the unit as real good and probably even applied a bunch of their paying customers in their tag application system for a unit that ended up not even having any NR tags available! IMHO the G&F should require all the landowner tags to be allotted and taken off the Final Regulation numbers so it only shows what will actually be in the draws. The way it is now is very deceiving and actually deceptive if you were able to look into the stats to see how many landowners do automatically get tags before the draws for the total numbers shown in the Final Reg.

    And that right there....

    Seriously, both of you make good points and I had no idea that it was like that in WY. The good thing is the fact that they are non-trans tags.
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

    "Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker

  8. #798
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    635
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 183 Times in 147 Posts
    Congratulations
    102
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    I think that if their going to issue any landowner tags, there should be a minimum number of tags available to the rest of us. Say if that number was 50 or so, current quota under that number, the landowners get put in the drawing with the rest of us, over that number and they can get the separate LO tags. Heck, that late season deer tag in 128 where they don't give out any LO tags, they could completely wipe out the quota there if that were allowed to happen. I'm not sure if any other area is treated the same way, but it's not like they don't have some measures to take to make draw odds in these situations be a little more fair to everyone.

  9. #799
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    colfax, wa
    Posts
    5,077
    Thanks
    1,191
    Thanked 612 Times in 536 Posts
    Congratulations
    111
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    Is there any limit to the LO tags? Does every LO that applies and meets their requirements get a tag? I am all for LO's getting a tag but I also think they should only be able to hunt their own property with them. If they only hunted their own property I think they could give out a few more tags without really affecting the populations.
    Keystone 1, Over!

    " I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

  10. #800
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Allegan, MI
    Posts
    1,076
    Thanks
    37
    Thanked 242 Times in 198 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Is there any limit to the LO tags? Does every LO that applies and meets their requirements get a tag? I am all for LO's getting a tag but I also think they should only be able to hunt their own property with them. If they only hunted their own property I think they could give out a few more tags without really affecting the populations.
    No and yes to your two questions, respectively! I also agree with your comments, but that's not the way it works in Wyoming! Each landowner, whether resident or NR, that has 160 acres of contiguous deeded land that has 2000 animal use days per species in a calendar year can apply for one full price and one reduced price license for each species that qualifies. Those licenses are then removed from the resident and NR pools before the draws are held. That's why there are two different dates that the resident or NR has to apply for them due to the difference in draw dates. The area Game Warden handles it and you can bet that as long as they own 160 acres that they aren't going to look at the other restrictive qualification very close to give them the requested licenses.

    EDIT: What is really bad about this landowner tag situation is that they can divide up their ranch into a number of 160 acre sections and put them under different family member names as owner in the tax rolls and then each of those 160 acre sections qualifies for the two licenses! That's what I understand the Carter family near TenSleep did a few years ago to get extra licenses. They ran/run an outfitting/guiding operation and got caught allowing nonresidents to use those tags when they can only be used by the owner or a close family member. At least two or three were sentenced under the Lacey Act along with some nonresidents who took animals kiiled illegally with those tags across state lands to their home states, but even though there were some pretty good money judgements, it wasn't nearly enough to compensate for the crimes and all the time State and Federal agents spent on the case.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-17-2014 at 08:59 AM.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •