Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

100 vs 200 yd zero?

Hello everyone. I've got a fairly quick question. The other day I mounted my first BDC style scope on my 300wsm which I plan on using for most of my big game hunts out west. In the past, with standard duplex reticles, I zero my rifles at 200 to make shots out to 300 fairly easy with a very small amount of holdover. With this Meopta mcwhorter BDC reticle, I'm torn on whether to zero it at 100 or 200 yds. Thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like a 200 yds zero. All of my big game rifles are setup for this.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Somewhere in the manual you received with the new scope, it should tell you the sub-tensions in either MOA or Mils for the graduated lines at max power. I'd compare the load you want to shoot to these sub-tensions with a ballistic program, like Hornady has on their website, with the two different zero ranges and see which matches your ballistic profile the closest.

If we weren't talking about a BDC style reticle, I'd suggest a 200 yd zero every day of the week given the shot distances we will typically encounter hunting in the west.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This scope has a 1st plane reticle so it says accurate regardless of zoom level and meopta's ballistic calculator allows you to personalize the reticle to whatever load you're shooting. I'm just wonderin what others have done in this case...just zero at 100 and use the lines for the rest or zero at 200 and only use the lines for shots out to 400 and beyond.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 50 Times in 7 Posts
    I shoot a Leupold with a B&C reticle (a BDC type reticle). I have found the best thing for me is to sight in the rifle at 400 yards on the 400 yard reticle, then anything inside of that is cake.

If I try to zero at lesser yardages then later shoot at 400 yards on the 400 yard reticule, it is never quite on like it should be.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I zero at 200 yards as well but with a BDC reticle it will make a difference how it is designed and how it matches the trajectory of your rifle. I have seen some BDC reticles that recommend zeroing at 100 for some calibers and 200 for others. I would check the manufacturers recommendations.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I shoot a Leupold with a B&C reticle (a BDC type reticle). I have found the best thing for me is to sight in the rifle at 400 yards on the 400 yard reticle, then anything inside of that is cake.

If I try to zero at lesser yardages then later shoot at 400 yards on the 400 yard reticule, it is never quite on like it should be.
    ^^^This is sound advice if you have a range you can shoot this far at. I shoot a scope graduated in straight MOA on my 300 WSM where I'm playing with different zeros at different ranges with different loads and my back to zero check for hunting is always 4 MOA drop @ 400 yds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I like a 200 yds zero. All of my big game rifles are setup for this.
    All of my big game rifles are equipt with Leupold VXIII scopes and I have worked very hard to have a pet load for each one. I have custom ballistic turrets for each scope/rifle combination for that specific load and all are set a 200 yard zero. It works well for me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post

This is exactly how I do it. I am very comfortable with shots from zero to my personal limit of 500 yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 1 Post
    Agree with UH as well. But also, your manual should describe in detail what you should be zeroing to. Rule of thumb, if you will, is magnum rifles zero at 200. That should put you at 1.5-2.0 inches high at 100. My .270wsm zeroed at 200 -- is 1.8" high at 100.

Same exact scope on my standard .270 or .243 recommends a 100 yard zero.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
    "I love my country, I love my guns, I love my family, I love the way it is now, and anybody that tries to change it has to come through me, that should be all of our attitudes, cause this is America!!"
    - Charlie Daniels

"Most democrats in WY are not like other democrats (they actually like babies, guns, and the constitution)"
    - AT Hiker