Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPickar View Post
    I practice because I don't want to miss any animals next season. I hate missing and will shoot as much as I can squeeze in year round to build my confidence and skill. They best practice you can do is shoot at live animals. So I go gopher hunting with my bow as much as possible. If you don't have gophers, try for your neighbors cat. That'll livin' up your practice. ;-)
    I would love to pratice on our 2 cats. I don't think the girls would be too happy with me however!

I haven't had time to shoot for a few days now, planning on it tonight though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm actually fond of the cat sized jack rabbits, need to get some of those anti-snaking gizmos tho. Hate searching through sage brush for 30 minutes only to walk away $10 poorer!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I hear hot pink vanes make them easier to locate.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I joined a couple different archery ranges so I have variety and walk the range shooting just 2 or 3 arrows at each target. I love being outdoors, so the indoor ranges are a drag for me. My motivation is to get better to be ready for whatever shot I may have while hunting - LOVE going to the 3-D competitions too. Who cares if you're good - I went to the Redding Bigfoot shoot this year and I was better than half of them that have been doing this for years and got LOTS of great tips from the old timers. As with most things, it is always more fun to do with someone that shares a passion for whatever hobby you are doing - the competitions are great places to meet those people. I started archery in the last 6 months and have had to work hard to find people to help teach me - it actually breaks my heart you don't love it!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For me, every cent counts, so losing arrows and joining ranges really don't go over well with me. Here is what I do and how I started doing it. I've been shooting my bow for 5 years now and love it. It is relaxing to me even if my groups aren't that great. Basically my mindset started that I wanted to be able to shoot better, wanted to learn about archery in general, and wanted to enjoy shooting. Of course, shooting better typically means you will enjoy it more, so this is what I did. I bought the biggest target I could find (24x24) and a couple of small square straw bales. I put the target in front of the bales. Even if I miss the target, they hit the straw and either stay in the bale, or if they go through they don't go far. I also started shooting on the farm, sides of roads, and pretty much any public land I could find. If you have a place to permanently set something up, put your target in front of a rubber truck bed liner that is hung up. That will save you arrows and range costs.

I also like to shoot out to 100 when I can, like others have said. It comes with practice, but is still a lot of fun. Just try not to take it too seriously and take the fun away.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As if you haven't had enough responses.....

I love the element of focus involved in shooting my bow. I let my life be too busy, so time on the range is time where I can strictly focus on the many mental checks that begin with the draw and end with the follow through. When I'm not shooting well, it's because my focus is off.

The other element I love is the challenge of always improving. It's really not much deeper than that- I just love the challenge.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Dang, it's been 3 weeks since I shot last. I had a busy month at work and summer Basket ball for the 2 daughters. I need to get back out there. I even brought my bow camping over the weekend, I never took it out of the case.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Come on now only two months till the first shot counts!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    Dang, it's been 3 weeks since I shot last. I had a busy month at work and summer Basket ball for the 2 daughters. I need to get back out there. I even brought my bow camping over the weekend, I never took it out of the case.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Come on now only two months till the first shot counts!!
    I know! I nearly shot the bow the other day, but I was so relaxed sitting there with the family that I didn't feel like leaving them all to go shoot. I need to find a couple youth bows for the daughters, it would be more fun to shoot with them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's been 2 months since I started this thread. I was shooting good for me last week, I was feeling pretty good to 50 yards. I thought I needed a bigger peep since I couldn't see the entire sight ring, I did that and bough 6 new arrows. I have shot the last 2 nights and I am shooting like s__t. I have lost 2 of the 6 new arrows I bought and cant hit the broad side of a barn, what the hell is the deal? It's like I haven't shot in 2 years, I only have 6 weeks till I leave for Wyoming and all the confidence I had is now gone. I feel like the more I shoot the worse I get.