Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [QUOTE=OregonJim;97104]Unfortunately CA is even less friendly to NR hunters than even OR.
    I just don't feel the need or can really afford purchasing a nonres license before even applying.
    QUOTE]

You do realize non-residents have the same draw odds as residents right? Not sure how that is unfriendly. It's just as expensive as any other state as a non-resident. Sure this state is ran by a bunch of trail mix mollies but there is definitely still some great hunting opportunities around. I for one am excited. We should have a few x-zone tags among the family this year. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 9 Posts
    But look at the draw odds. It will take a long time to draw the really good CA units. I just calculated out a ML deer hunt for my cousin and figured it will take him over 20 years to draw and he is only 3 points behind the highest point holders. IMO its just not worth it as a NR to put that much money into a tag I may never draw when I can get tags in other states with that money.
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    But look at the draw odds. It will take a long time to draw the really good CA units. IMO its just not worth it as a NR to put that much money into a tag I may never draw when I can get tags in other states with that money.
    I agree with you 100%, if you're trying to draw the 'really good' hunts. However, there are numerous zones that a guy can draw every few years that can be just as productive if you put in the work.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For sheep, elk, and antelope it's not the same for the non-res. but for deer, everyone is in the same draw with no % cap for non-res.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have never looked at CA as a NR. I mostly just hunted in A zone where I lived when I was there. What would it cost me if I wanted to put in for a LE deer tag?
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    [QUOTE=imnrut;97806]
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Unfortunately CA is even less friendly to NR hunters than even OR.
    I just don't feel the need or can really afford purchasing a nonres license before even applying.
    QUOTE]

You do realize non-residents have the same draw odds as residents right? Not sure how that is unfriendly. It's just as expensive as any other state as a non-resident. Sure this state is ran by a bunch of trail mix mollies but there is definitely still some great hunting opportunities around. I for one am excited. We should have a few x-zone tags among the family this year. Good luck to everyone!
    OK maybe it is not as unfriendly as Oregon but it is close.
    You are right in some aspects. If I wanted to hunt A zone for example I could pay about $450 and hunt a black tail. If I am applying for a L.E. hunt that will take several years it is a different scenario.
    I hunted X3b archery several years and A or B for 10 years.
    You are right that there are some good hunts.

I apply in about 5 states and I don't have to buy a nonresident hunting license in any.
    Each state has it's own way of getting money but I would argue that it is more expensive either over time on a premium hunt that take years to draw, or even for one season where you earn a point but don't hunt. Colorado did this thing recently where you can buy the NR license and save PP fees (actually a bargain over multiple species PP fees)

The last time I tried to get in the game for CA (the year I left / 8 years ago), the policy worked that way. Their policy may have changed but I haven't checked recently.

Purchasing a overpriced NR license BEFORE submitting an application that will likely just earn points = very few NR hunters.
    That is totally my own opinion but I do think it is a pretty common one.
    Last edited by OregonJim; 06-08-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The advantage to states where you have to buy the license first is you dont have to front all the tag fees. In Nevada I can apply for 5 species for about $200. I dont have an extra 4K or so to front all that and if they charges for points it would prob cost about the same. There is good and bad with every system. I think its good they are not all the same.
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 3 Posts
    I have never looked at CA as a NR. I mostly just hunted in A zone where I lived when I was there. What would it cost me if I wanted to put in for a LE deer tag?
    Musket:
    $161.49 NR license before applying
    272.65 deer application

Thats a very good point
    Last edited by OregonJim; 06-08-2014 at 09:16 AM.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The advantage to states where you have to buy the license first is you dont have to front all the tag fees. In Nevada I can apply for 5 species for about $200. I dont have an extra 4K or so to front all that and if they charges for points it would prob cost about the same. There is good and bad with every system. I think its good they are not all the same.
    I think thats a very good point a lot of people dont have the money to front for tags so they look at states that have the base licsence like Nevada or Utah.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by OregonJim View Post
    Musket:
    $161.49 NR license before applying
    272.65 deer application

Thats a very good point
    272.62 total or is that ontop of the 161.49 license? How much would I be refunded if I didnt draw?
    Keystone 1, Over!