Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Not an isolated incident. I had hunted on a very large Wyoming ranch starting in about 1980 and paid a small trespass fee. Worked great for a long time, then the owner passed away and his son took over and started leasing the elk hunting out to an outfitter. W e could not hunt elk anymore and the fee for deer and antelope doubled. Then a few years later the outfitter took it all. Pretty sad deal, but I didn't own it for sure and money talks.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    It's the same everywhere. Here in Northern California, it's almost impossible to find an affordable ranch to hunt. If you do find one, you had better keep it quiet. There are too many guys out here with more money, jacking up the prices for everyone, until it's just too expensive.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's getting sad,I was hunting region B and that is mostly private lands.In the last ten years I have noticed that there is no younger hunters coming to that area any more.The watering holes used to be full of 18 to 20's year old hunting and having a good time cutting loose.They cant afford price of lic and a tresspass fee.
    Do anyone know whats the deal is with the US forest maps that have hunting camps marked on them?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It amazes me what swamp land sells for in northern Wisconsin (grew up there). 40 years ago, you could hardly give it away, now, it nearly goes for as much as decent farm land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Always a case of the haves and have nots. The guys hunting public ground grumble about over crowding in areas they've hunted for years. The guys who can afford a trespass fee grumble about outfitters and folks with more money than themselves squeezing them out. I have a cousin who runs an outfitting business and he was grumbling a couple weeks ago that he lost his lease on a ranch near Sheridan because the owner sold it to some wealthy guy from back east.

No complaints here. Just booked a guided deer hunt last night to lock in my spot before the draw results come out...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dick56 View Post
    It's getting sad,I was hunting region B and that is mostly private lands.In the last ten years I have noticed that there is no younger hunters coming to that area any more.The watering holes used to be full of 18 to 20's year old hunting and having a good time cutting loose.They cant afford price of lic and a tresspass fee.
    Do anyone know whats the deal is with the US forest maps that have hunting camps marked on them?

Those camps are not private property, but rather are on Federal property and used by private individuals that lease the site from the USFS.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi TOPGUN, are you saying it might be an outfitter camp?I even seen one that has a gate right after the camp on a trail that is marked for high clearance vehicles.Can they stop people from driving past the gate?Is there going to be lease rights on National forest to deal with?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It does suck to lose your spot. I'm not even that old (39) and can't hunt the Utah land I grew up hunting...old land owner never cared about a large swath on the mountain that backed into public. New owner won't allow access and it blocks the public. It is kinda sad that I can't walk the same ground with my son that I walked with my dad.

At least in the west there is a huge amount of public land and leasing is still relatively rare as compared with eastern and southern states. I've lived in both and it's a pain in the butt just to find a place to hunt. Much easier to fly back west than fight the lease madness. I guess it's a matter of glass half full.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dick56 View Post
    Hi TOPGUN, are you saying it might be an outfitter camp?I even seen one that has a gate right after the camp on a trail that is marked for high clearance vehicles.Can they stop people from driving past the gate?Is there going to be lease rights on National forest to deal with?
    No, I'm not saying that! They are camps that people just like you and I lease from the Feds and they don't have any control over the property or roads in the area. That would be up to the Feds and they will have signs up if there are any road restrictions in the area. They strictly have use of the building on the property and have no right to keep you from accessing any of the land around it. Generally the property is probably only an acre or so that the build is on. One area that I'm aware of is called "Camp Remington" and it's just outside the northern boundary of Custer State Park in the Black Hills of SD not far from Mt. Rushmore. There are a lot of cabins on one deadend USFS road approximately 2 miles long that gives access to them. I've turkey hunted that entire area every time I've gone out there with no problem at all and there are no signs anywhere limiting public access to the entire area.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-08-2014 at 02:17 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Topgun 30-06,My post sorta got off the wrong way for most of it.I really didn't mean to come off that I was complaining about loosing hunting spot.I was trying to give reason I was looking for info on region H.After hunting Wyoming for over 20 years and going into a new area. I want to learn as much as I can before getting there.Good hunting to you!