Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    Some of the taxidermists that I know use Arm & Hammer Washing Soda as a degreaser. I have used it on some of my European mounts. Available at Wal-Mart.
    I have also used this....not sure if it was the product or something I did wrong, but on one buck the base of the antlers and a little ways up turned a little black. Didn't bother me much cause it actually made the buck look cooler. I will continue to use it going forward, works well other than the one mishap just mentioned.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by tdub24 View Post
    I have also used this....not sure if it was the product or something I did wrong, but on one buck the base of the antlers and a little ways up turned a little black. Didn't bother me much cause it actually made the buck look cooler. I will continue to use it going forward, works well other than the one mishap just mentioned.
    Never had that problem, but I used an oblong galvanized tub. Perhaps it had something to do with the material of the boiling vessel. Aluminum?

Regarding California's import regulations for importing out of state game. The CA DFW has boiled this down to one phrase. "No skull, no backbone" (California Big Game Hunting, p. 62).
    Last edited by Sawfish; 06-14-2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawfish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawfish View Post
    Never had that problem, but I used an oblong galvanized tub. Perhaps it had something to do with the material of the boiling vessel. Aluminum?
    I too am using a big galvanized tub, only difference is mine is round...not really sure why it discolored them, but washing soda made everything come off a little easier than before.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I would check with each state that you are going threw and check their requirements, most will not allow any meat or spine material to be on the skull but I don't remember any thing about it being cooked or not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been through all the states mentioned multiple times with the exception of CA. We remove all the spinal column including the pelvis with the tail bone. If your boning the critter out this part isn't an issue. As far as the head goes, If it's gonna be a euro mount, removing the brain will do the trick. Cooking just enough to help with this is a plus. If your going to have it mounted or just saving for a horn mt. I go ahead and cape it out and cut the skull plate and antlers off of the head and remove the brain tissue that way, leaving the rest of the head in the state it was taken. I've been checked several times in different states and have never had any issues.
    I've never heard anything about the teeth and have never removed them from skulls for Euro mts., but it sounds like something I need to check in to.
    I know a few of the western states were trying to get their laws a little more consistent with each other because there was discrepancies if a person was held to the letter of the law that made it next to impossible to comply when crossing into bordering states if you followed the rules there. I think most of those have been cleared up though.
    Good luck with your hunts!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by gonhunting247 View Post
    I've been through all the states mentioned multiple times with the exception of CA. We remove all the spinal column including the pelvis with the tail bone. If your boning the critter out this part isn't an issue. As far as the head goes, If it's gonna be a euro mount, removing the brain will do the trick. Cooking just enough to help with this is a plus. If your going to have it mounted or just saving for a horn mt. I go ahead and cape it out and cut the skull plate and antlers off of the head and remove the brain tissue that way, leaving the rest of the head in the state it was taken. I've been checked several times in different states and have never had any issues.
    I've never heard anything about the teeth and have never removed them from skulls for Euro mts., but it sounds like something I need to check in to.
    I know a few of the western states were trying to get their laws a little more consistent with each other because there was discrepancies if a person was held to the letter of the law that made it next to impossible to comply when crossing into bordering states if you followed the rules there. I think most of those have been cleared up though.
    Good luck with your hunts!
    A few years ago, I went on a Blacktail deer hunt in Northern California, and from there went directly to Wyoming for an antelope hunt. On the way to my Wyoming destination, I passed a Wyoming CWD check station with a sign instructing all successful deer hunters to stop for testing of their kill. I stopped, and was told they were only interested in deer that were killed in Wyoming. Go figure.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    For any Nebraska residents or travelers- I just spoke with Dusty at Nebraska Game and Parks about this subject. He said they have no restrictions on bringing back entire carcasses as long as they have proper tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    California, the state to the south, does not allow any portion of the head or spine. Unless the skull plate is void of any fur or tissue, and it has been removed from the rest of the skull. Just remember the state inspection stations on the higways. The last time I came back from Colorado I got inspected because I had a deer from another state. Lucky for me I knew the regulations.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevet124 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In 2009 I had a Book Cliffs Roadless elk tag in Ut.. A friend of mine that lives in Moab packed me in with his mules. Killed a bull and left from there to camp for a couple days in Az. 5BN with some friends archery elk hunting. I left there and when I got to the Ag check and was driving away the old man working it starting yelling and running after me. He saw the antlers sticking up out of the truck. He was so excited I thought he crapped his pants. I had it caped out and was going to take it home to boil it for a Euro. He called Game and Fish and the Fish Cop was on his was home from the Sierra deer openers and he lived in Yuma. He showed up about an hour later. He was very nice and kept asking if I knew about the Ca. CWD law. I said yes. He wanted me to say no I guess so he wouldn't give me a ticket. Guess I just couldn't play dumb. I told him I wanted to do a Euro with it and was going to boil it at home. He said I either had to saw off the skull plate or he would have to confiscate it. He saw it was a nice bull and didn't want to do that. I sawed it off and threw the brain matter in their dumpster. Said I hope you don't have any deer dumpster diving here but I know for sure there isn't any in my truck or on the freeway to my house or at my house. He said the fine was only $100. It was $200. The old Ag jerk kept asking me to open up my coolers to check for spine before the F&G showed up. I said nope. They are taped up and staying that way unless F&G wants them opened. When I was getting ready to leave the Ag jerk comes over and asked me to open up the coolers again. The F&G officer asked me if any spine in them. I sad no, just boned out meat and quarters. He said to the Ag jerk, they are sealed up and he's fine so give it a break. The guy left and I said thanks to the F&G officer and left. a 2 hr. $200 ordeal. In Wy. a friend boils them out for me. A galvanized sounds in order next time I go to Az.,Ut. or Nv..... It's funny to see the Ag people when I bring back boiled out skulls from Wy..

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HuntWYODon For This Useful Post: