Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

White river Nf ?

I was looking into hunting unit 24 white river Nf backpack in a ways to get away from the big crowds and what I have read and talked to some people that most of the good drainages in there, such as trappers drainages and the other one most have drop camps and outfitters hunting lots of them and other people. Does anyone have any input on that area? I guess I really don't want to get there and there is outfitters and drop camps everywhere. Looking at units 5 and 24 cause of all the public ground. I would probably be doing a 2nd or 3rd rifle. Unit 5 will take 3 pp to draw archery and 24 will take quite a bit more for muzzleloader. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you thinking of hunting the flat tops wilderness? Elk? Deer?
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah the flat tops is the area i was looking at going east of trappers lake, or some other area in unit 24.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What are you planning on hunting and what season?
    Keystone 1, Over!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    What are you planning on hunting and what season?
    Same questions, but I have hunted West of where you are talking in 12. Still NF, just a different unit. If your talking elk I might be able to help you out. I've seen deer but have never hunted them in this area.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sorry elk and i would like to hunt 1st season but dont have enough points to draw so 2nd or 3rd season. i ordered the forest maps for the white river nf but what concerned about running into a bunch of drop camps and outfitters in the area. im open to options on units just like all the public land where a guy could maybe have a good chance of getting away from the crowds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    sorry elk and i would like to hunt 1st season but dont have enough points to draw so 2nd or 3rd season. i ordered the forest maps for the white river nf but what concerned about running into a bunch of drop camps and outfitters in the area. im open to options on units just like all the public land where a guy could maybe have a good chance of getting away from the crowds.
    I drew a 1st season rifle bull tag for the same area you are discussing. Based on my conversation with the Game Warden from 24 there is a lot of drop camps in that area. More than any of the other 11 units that can be hunted with that tag based on what the other Game Wardens told me. PM if you would like and I can try to answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Retterath View Post
    If you want to hunt the first elk season, there may be some tags left over. If I'm reading the results correctly, there are a surplus of over 1000 tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i would rather hunt first season so maybe better backpacking weather, i will have to check the first season tag numbers out thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have not hunted the flat tops but I think they get quite a few hikers and I have run into alot of hikers in other wildernesses in CO so its something I always look into when planning a hunt.
    Keystone 1, Over!