Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I could hit a target equally with all of them, the gun I'd choose would be based on 1) flatter bullet trajectory, which would decrease my chances of making a mistake if the distances and wind change from optimal, and 2) weight of the gun, which would matter if I had to carry it for a long time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Humblesmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Humblesmith View Post
    If I could hit a target equally with all of them, the gun I'd choose would be based on 1) flatter bullet trajectory, which would decrease my chances of making a mistake if the distances and wind change from optimal, and 2) weight of the gun, which would matter if I had to carry it for a long time.
    If you shoot all those rifles equally well then I'd look at which rifle best suits what you're hunting.
    When I looked at your caliber selection I was initially attracted to the .257 Weatherby, big .257 fan, and the 7 Mag. None of the choices are bad however. I'd select the one rifle I'd want to have, that shot the best, that I wouldn't mind carrying for ten days of backpack hunting with a shot at sunset on the last day.

Me, I pack a .338 Win Mag for a coues deer hunt because that's my one rifle for all game. Not the best as far as distance shooting goes, it mirrors the 30-06 in trajectory, but it's the rifle I shoot most so that's my choice. I know it, have shot it a lot, and have no doubt it will work. While I have other calibers, even a 6.5 x 284, which would be a grand mule deer caliber, I opt to carry my old friend. Someone I know has the same attitude about his 30-06 and another feels the same way about his 7 Mag. It's more about being familiar with your chosen rifle and knowing it as you know your own hand.

Pick one and get to shooting. Mule deer season will be here soon enough and good luck!

Vince

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vince For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks to all for the input and advice.

I'm going to focus on the 300 Weatherby. I've killed more game with it than the others, mostly elk using 180 grain loads. I'll put a newer Leupold Vari X3 3.5-10 on it that I'll take off one of the other rifles which is my best scope. Im going to try the different 150 and 165 grain loads which I'd think would make it just about as flat shooting as the others. I may even lean on my brother do some hand loading for me. This rifle is also a bit lighter than my 257 and 7MM so carrying it up the mountain will be a bit easier.

It's funny you wait all winter for summer to arrive, then the hunter in you takes over and you can't wait for the fall!!

jd

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdan9 View Post

I'm going to focus on the 300 Weatherby. I've killed more game with it than the others, mostly elk using 180 grain loads. I'll put a newer Leupold Vari X3 3.5-10 on it that I'll take off one of the other rifles which is my best scope. Im going to try the different 150 and 165 grain loads which I'd think would make it just about as flat shooting as the others. I may even lean on my brother do some hand loading for me. This rifle is also a bit lighter than my 257 and 7MM so carrying it up the mountain will be a bit easier.

It's funny you wait all winter for summer to arrive, then the hunter in you takes over and you can't wait for the fall!!

jd
    Yeah especially when you draw a Henry's rifle tag!! lol
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL
    TT Xtreme FC Pro
    Custom Black Gold Ascent 4 pin
    GT Velocity 300's tipped with 125 Shuttle t's weighing 490 grains!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdan9 View Post

jd
    Theres a big buck growing his horns right now that going to be killed by a 300 weatherby, nice choice