Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wallow wildfire

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wallow wildfire

Does anyone know what units the wallow fire damaged? News says it's over 230,000 acres already, and headed for nm.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Central-West to Northern part of Unit 27 is charred. I know unit 1 is north of 27 and that area is affected as well. I hunted 27 2 years ago. Short term at least, this is very sad. Alpine is a great town, Hannigan Meadows was a beautiful area. Just very sad with every update I hear on the news.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have heard that it is headed for Area 23 in NM, it may already be there as this was earlier in the week that I heard this
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 60#/26.5" 290 fps w/374 grain arrow
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 60#/26.625" 301 fps w/304 grain arrow; 276 fps w/374 grain arrow
    2011 PSE Bow Madness XL 55#/26.5" 243 fps w/406 grain arrow
    2011 PSE AXE-6 60#(IBO)58#(ASA)/26.5" 292 fps(IBO)287 fps(ASA) w/300 grain arrow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    its over 300K acres and still ripping. I fight fire up in Utah but I have a buddy off my engine on the fire right now with a hand crew. Basically, its doin work and not showing signs of stopping.
    Team Backcountry

Thanks
    Congratulations
    430,171 acres and it was 6% contained as of sat afternoon hope they get a handle on it soon

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes a very sad situation me and my family actually were evacuated for 10 days. it started in the bear wallow wilderness and burned north and got a good chunk of unit 27 and burned into unit 1 and burned up 95% of unit one. I was born and raised here in unit one and its a sad situation very depressing to see it happening in your back yard. but it was a ticking time bomb. when they shut down logging and shut down the mill in town my grandpa who was a welder at the mill told me that the day would come that instead of us falling asleep to the sound the chipper we would fall asleep to the sound of helicopters and tankers fighting to save our town from burning up. It was only a matter of time. Its sad to say but for all the residents here that spend a lot of time in those mountains, nobody was suprised and everybody knew once it got going that it wouldnt stop until we got rain or it ran out of fuel. It is now over 500,000 acres and still growing. it is 38% contained and that is only because in certain areas it finally did run out of fuel.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    sad but true, thats the way it is everywhere out west, no logging means more fires and hotter ones. My firefighting unit is down there with two tankers(water tenders) one just got moved to the southern half which is the most active.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fire is the natural order of things and while there is destruction and chaos now, the years to come will show another side to mother nature and it will be magnificent! The game populations will get stronger and everyone will take benefit most of all, the wildlife...

IMO Smokey the bear is a joke here in California... Preventing forrest fires is no way to manage a resource.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ya Cali is definitly in need of better management from the forest service. I asked a FS guy one time how hard it was to get a controled burn going. He said the had to draw up a plan (stack of papers) and then have that passed by a committee! I said sweet, I'll get a match

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Has anyone got a report of how the archery elk season was in Unit 1 this year? Was there any descent hunting after the fire? I have 13 points as a non-resident and I am thinking seriously of using them in 2012 for an archery elk tag.