Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 11 Posts
    Sleeping bag won't do anything without a good pad.

Eastmans' Staff- Digital Media Coordinator

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 8 Posts
    A lot of people don't realize how much heat you lose from your noggin and it's wise in cold temps to wear a stocking cap to bed as mentioned above.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I say 20-30 degree bag. If the wether is predicted to be colder then desired at time of hunt take some hand warmers and put them in your bag at night.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I dont know the temp rating but I have the army sleep system which is a lighter bag, a heavier bag, and a bivy bag that all snap together. When I backpacked CO high country in sept I used the light bag and it was warm enough but I wouldnt say it was alot extra. If I think the light bag wont be enough I take an army poncho liner, its light and adds quite a bit warmth. Backpacking I prefer to have a lighter bag and take some heavier base layers so I can wear them sleeping and hunting if it gets colder then expected.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont know the temp rating but I have the army sleep system which is a lighter bag, a heavier bag, and a bivy bag that all snap together. When I backpacked CO high country in sept I used the light bag and it was warm enough but I wouldnt say it was alot extra. If I think the light bag wont be enough I take an army poncho liner, its light and adds quite a bit warmth. Backpacking I prefer to have a lighter bag and take some heavier base layers so I can wear them sleeping and hunting if it gets colder then expected.
    We dont know if we going or not its just up in the air for now an we going to back pack in or take the horses my cuz knee is in bad shape an Im not packing everything by myself when we hunt in Oct I use a -35 deg cabelas 3D sleeping bag just dont want to take to much or to little

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
    depends on whether you're a "cold sleeper" or a "warm sleeper". Even in mid September I'm most comfortable in the high country with a 0 degree bag. I almost always wake up cold in the middle of the night. My theory is that my body runs out of fuel in the wee hours of the morning so I have to get up and have a snack to keep the inner fire going. I've also been known to keep a pot of water ready to heat (at my age I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee anyway), and put the warm water in a nalgene bottle and put it down in my bag to help keep warm til morning.
    Id say I may sleep cold sheephunter I never sweat sleeping

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    I carry a North Face Cats Meow 15* bag on almost any hunt even in November. It's all I have at the current moment!
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a 15 deg Marmot with 850 down I took down to 4 degrees in winter with base layers on, I was comfortable enough to sleep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    Over the past 20 seasons for in a tent hunts I have always used a 15* Marmot Down bag for September hunts. I have never felt that I needed anything warmer. I keep it hung up in a closet during the off season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Same here, 15* Marmot Helium, air mattress and at 16• I'm warm enough to just have my skivvies on.
    Using Tapatalk