Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Utah Central Mtns Manti LE Muzzleloader Elk

Hey guys - finally drew my UT elk tag after 12 years of applying. I'll be hunting the LE muzzleloader hunt on the Manti unit. This isn't a top tier unit in UT (as many of you know), but I wasn't interested in waiting another 5-10 years in hopes of drawing a top unit. Manti is a solid-to-upper middle ground LE unit, and that's good enough for me. My first trip out will be in about three weeks, and I'm trying to gather as much information as I can so that I can narrow things down to 3 or 4 general areas within the unit...just in case plans A, B and C get trashed when the hunt starts. As much as I'd like a backpack hunt, this will likely be a basecamp affair with family with the chance of some spike out trips if a good bull is located. So far, I have some good information on the northern portion of the unit (Scofield Res. and north), but I don't have too much south of there. If anyone has some past experience or tips (anywhere on the unit), I'd appreciate it. Shoot me a PM if you're more comfortable with that. Being that LE elk hunting is fast becoming a once in a lifetime affair here in UT, I'd like to make the most of it. By the time I draw a tag again (and archery at that), I'll likely be mid-50s to early 60s! My gosh, that's scary to think about...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    Nice tag MWS! Have a blast.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Thats a hell of a tag man, congrats!! I'm sure you'll do just fine!
    TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 8 Posts
    Congrats on the tag!!!
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulations on the great tag

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 1 Post

Utah Central Mtns Manti LE Muzzleloader Elk

Don't know much about Utah but I know they have some huge bulls. Much better hunting now then waiting another ten yrs. hunt hard and hunt often. Look forward to hearing about the hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the well wishes. There are some stud bulls in the state. The trick is finding them when you can't be on the mountain every week during the summer. Gonna give it a solid shot though and hope for a good story in the end.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That's a great tag. My advice is don't get excited and shoot the first 300-320 bull you see.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You will have fun. I have had the archery tag 2 times. 8 years ago and 6 years ago. Second times was an expo tag. There will be no back packing trips on this unit. Lots of roads. I hunted mostly above Tucker Turn off up Spanish Fork Canyon, Right up top into Bennion creek area. I also hunted Right above Fairview up Fairview canyon. Hit south Skyline drive and into Birch Creek. Lots of elk when I was there. There are alot of side canyons that drop of of South Skyline that go east and west. If your willing to eat tag soup, then dont shoot the 1st 320 bull you see. If you want to make sure you kill a good bull, DONT PASS A BULL ON THE 1ST DAY THAT YOU WOULD SHOOT THE LAST DAY!!! I am 100% serious about that too!!!! There are some dandy bulls up there, but nothing like it was 6-8 years ago. If I were you, Any descent 6 point you better kill. I Have seen some giant 5x5's too. One that was killed went 354. I chased him for a week with 0 success. Good luck and have fun. Lots of elk in the right spot if you can find them!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to robiland For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Robiland - you ticked off several of the spots I've been keying on, so there must be something to say about those. Working for a 330 is or better bull, but we'll see. That "don't pass a bull on the first day that you'd shoot on the last" is sage advice indeed. Thanks again for the insight!