Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post

.270 Win 150 Grain Partitions

I haven't hand loaded for my .270 Win closing in on two decades. I have 2 boxes of 150 grain Partitions. I was going to go with 58 grains of H-4831. However, I've read that R-22 provides excellent accuracy & velocity. I have a few pounds of R-22. Has anyone loaded 270 Win with 150 grain Partitions using R-22?

I hope to get a 150 grain Partition dialed in for an upcoming elk hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've used RL22 in a 20" barreled 270. I can't remember the exact powder load, but it was the max load in the Nosler book so should be easy to find. It shot really well at an impressive 2950fps from the short barrel. RL22 isn't my favorite powder because I find it to be a little more temperature sensitive than some, but is sure worked well here. For what it's worth I took my elk last year with a 270 pushing a 140gr Accubond to 2950fps with 58gr of H4831SC. It isn't the fastest load but has been extremely accurate through both my 270's. I plan to experiment a little this fall with the 150gr Accubond Long Range and see if I can match or beat my old load. The accubonds have always show excellent terminal performance for me, real similar to a partition

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    H4831 is a great choice for 150gr bullets. I used to load some ballistic tips for a friend with H4831 and RL22 and they both proved to be very consistent and very accurate. As stated above the RL22 is not as temp stable as the Hodgdon but if your not planning on shooting over 500 yards its pointless to worry about.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi woodtick,

I hope to close to within 200 yards. I cannot imagine shooting beyond 400 yards. It will be a rut hunt, so getting close will be easier, not to be confused with easy.

I have more than enough H-4831 to last me a few years. I also have at least 3 pounds of R-22. I've read on countless Websites of how accurate R-22 is. If R-22 does have velocity advantage, it wouldn't be enough to justify change. However, accuracy would.

Take a look at this Website: http://www.realguns.com/loads/270win.htm

I've always considered this Website reliable. My initial thought was 59 grains of R-22 & 150 grain Partitions was high. However, I have read on other sights that 59.5 grains is maximum. I like that 59 grain load is MOA, which is pretty darn good with Partitions.

BTW, I will be using a 40+ year-old Model 700.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So if the 59 grain RL22 shoots moa and you like it, looks like that would be the load to use. The one thing you don't mention tho is a chronograph. I find them indispensable when I'm working up loads.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hi Colorado Cowboy,

I do chrono my loads and examine pressure signs.

My primary objective is accuracy with acceptable accuracy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
    BTW, I will be using a 40+ year-old Model 700.
    My model 70 Win 270 is 60 years old! Get you some Core-Lokts and go hunting lol
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I loaded my ruger m77 .270 and savage .270 this year with hornady sst 150gr and rl-19 or rl-22 I can't remember for sure right now last year. I shot my buck with the ruger at 90 yards quartering away and it did a great job, they were loaded max and accuracy had no change. My brother shot his buck at 175 yards broadside with the savage and the bullet hit him so hard his ears jolted. Entrance took 1 rib exit took out 3 on both bucks. I have shot my 270 at 450 yards with these loads and they hit hard. I use the sst in all my big guns and the rl powder as well. I haven't had any accuracy issues with it or the bullets. Although I have heard people have had problems with the sst bullets. I never chronoed these bullets but went by the hornady reloading book for my loads. .243, .270 and .300 rem mag. I used to shoot the core lokts and never had a problem with them I just got into reloading and wanted to try my own stuff

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have started working up 150NP's with RL-22 also. I worked my way up to pressure but I had a scope go haywire in the process and have not run them over the chrono yet. So I have work to do still.

Lots of guys over on 24hrcampfire have worked with the same combo, you might find more info there. I will drop back in here as I go forward.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    My model 70 Win 270 is 60 years old! Get you some Core-Lokts and go hunting lol
    Nothing wrong with the old Core-Lokt. I have had good success with them over the years before we ever heard of monolithic, bonded, Ballistic Tip, etc..
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA